Tarpon fishing ethically....

Now we're talking!

Maybe takes that long in [REDACTED] Run.

Class non-existent brown trout, I'll tell ya that much. An "A" in my books. Though I'm sure PFBC will find a way to air drop some browns in there. The best way to get people to stop talking about brook trout is to get rid of them.

Last edited:
Someday I'd like to at least attempt going for these ancient beauties, I just don't have the funds nor the tackle. Largest rod I have is a 10wt from an off-brand that I am not sure is very durable, feels like a broomstick though. Largest reel is a Hatch 9, which is a tank but may not have the line pickup of a larger reel. Drag is sufficient. I just parted with my Hatch 12 because I finally stopped reading "Lords of the Fly" (second read-through) and realized I still live in PA. That reel went out with one of my despised H3's for for a trade for a reel from the company that charges as much for the paint as they do the reel.

Don't do it. Tarpon fishing will ruin your life haha! Like Tom Evans said "We broke hooks, we broke lines, we broke rods, we broke marriages, we broke the whole thing". That turns into just a typical week during tarpon season.
I've used plenty of 10wts for tarpon. The only one I've broke was a Sage Igniter. The butt section of the rod broke when I was pulling a whipped fish backwards.

I should've been clearer on my previous post. I learned from Stu Apte and Andy Mill through their books, dvds, tv shows and videos.

Maybe I got lost in tracking the sarcasm in the thread, but it takes about 10 minutes of consuming tarpon/bonefish/salt media to hear very prominent (albeit maybe hypocritical) voices say that we definitely should have done something extreme during the last 50 years of declining populations to protect these fish.

I'm assuming most people are in agreement on this and don't take the vulnerability of these fish lightly simply because they're big??

I've seen schools of them in the hundreds. I've thrown lures at pods of them, i've watched them jump and dance on others lines. My total catch is 0. My son hooked one last week trolling a big plug through the local pass. All he got was a plug with bent hooks on it. I put them in a class with bone fish, permit and a sailfish on a fly. Good luck. GG

We should Brookie fish with something like 25x, so they can easily be broken off in the event the Pool Boss Brown is roused from his lair by the commotion in the pool. It takes years to grow a 6” Brookie.
Nah… it’s a pia. I got sick of bringing a microscope to tie the fly on. 😛

I’ve never heard tarpon guides or fisherman show concern over exhausting a fish. Doesn’t seem to be a thing.

Redfish, Snook and Permit absolutely. Especially if water temp is elevated.

Have landed a few smaller tarpon 5-40 lbs never the slobbers over 60 lbs. But it is a blast to get one even just for a little bit.

We should Brookie fish with something like 25x, so they can easily be broken off in the event the Pool Boss Brown is roused from his lair by the commotion in the pool. It takes years to grow a 6” Brookie.
Thats why ya gotta run a 3” brookie colored. Game changer through first and dip that pool boss in the egg and flour so your free to pursue those brookies on 3x

Back