Targus Fly Rods/Reels

J

JeffS

Does anyone own one of these rods?

Just cast the rod the other day and it is light as a feather. (I cast the Light Touch). However, the Borger reel cost over $300 beans.

What is the good, bad and ugly on these rods/reels?

JeffS, I haven't actually used one of those rod/reel combos to any great extent but I did test cast one on the Heritage Angling section of the LL. I cast the 7' 6" 3 wt and was very impressed. It was light as a feather and cast long (all the way across the Heritage Angling section) and short very well. The tip seemed limber eough to protect a light tippet. If I didn't already own a 8' 4 wt I would have bought that combo from LL Fly Shop. He had the 7'6" 3 wt, the 8" 4 wt and another rod that I forget it's specs. The gentlemen at the fly shop said it was $315 for the rod/reel combo and $300 for the rod only.

Wow.

I just test cast the same 763 Light Touch an hour ago, and like Flydoggie, if I didn't already have a 8' 4 I love, and a 6'9" 3 that's brand new, I would've left with that rod.

What a pleasure it was slinging that little 3wt across the whole creek without even thinking twice about it, and the price isn't even that out of line.

The reel is pretty nice looking, fair size, looks good, but I hated the fact that it was completely silent.

Back