Targeting Smallies - general and DE

Paulson

Paulson

I am looking for tips on improving my smallie game this season in general but also wanted to head to the Delaware as well.

What flies and rigging are you running? Whats in your tactics tool box? Ive been getting some glass rods because well they're fun and actually fairly cheap. Even got a SB 53 bamboo. I was going to pick up a 7wt Fenglass - is that overkill?

Can I wade any portion of the Delaware? A kayak is in the works but might not happen this year. Also looking to meet up and learn more about smallie fishing.

I used to fish worms in the Sandts eddy riffle starting an hour before dark. Park in the access lot and wade 3/4 of the way across. the channel is on the far (NJ) side.
last year I had some luck FF brown crayfish flies.

Right now it is way too high.

Paulson, I'm gearing up this year to fish for smallies as well! I haven't ever used glass or bamboo but I have a 10ft 7wt (which I plan on trying to use for steelhead as well) so I don't think a 7wt is overkill on tackle. It'll just be easier to throw poppers and smaller streamers with it all day long. As far as flies, I think you'll hear a lot about subsurface patterns like wooly buggers, crayfish patterns and clousers (obviously poppers too). I have actually been using a lot of Gunnar Brammers resources to tie some pretty cool streamer patterns (streamersbygunnar.com). If you want to get really exact about tying to match the forage in a stream he can teach you how to tie it up.

As far as techniques I have no advice there yet except to target structure and really get in close next to it.

It seems like you aren't too far from the lower parts of the Susquehanna! I fish the upper parts and can wade in the summertime but definitely find some way to get out on that river at some point!

https://youtu.be/OBV4IF4ZCRo

I've seen some musky hanging in the shade of the western banks above Easton.
The Shad are still running hard. The Channel Cats will become more active as the water warms and as of two weeks ago I heard that there are upstream fish still hanging out as low as Easton.

Upstream trout that is. Wild or bigger holdover trout.

andyruth93 wrote:
Paulson, I'm gearing up this year to fish for smallies as well! I haven't ever used glass or bamboo but I have a 10ft 7wt (which I plan on trying to use for steelhead as well) so I don't think a 7wt is overkill on tackle. It'll just be easier to throw poppers and smaller streamers with it all day long. As far as flies, I think you'll hear a lot about subsurface patterns like wooly buggers, crayfish patterns and clousers (obviously poppers too). I have actually been using a lot of Gunnar Brammers resources to tie some pretty cool streamer patterns (streamersbygunnar.com). If you want to get really exact about tying to match the forage in a stream he can teach you how to tie it up.

As far as techniques I have no advice there yet except to target structure and really get in close next to it.

It seems like you aren't too far from the lower parts of the Susquehanna! I fish the upper parts and can wade in the summertime but definitely find some way to get out on that river at some point!

https://youtu.be/OBV4IF4ZCRo

Cool! Its just something I wanted to try and I find it to be fun. Makes me slow down a bit. I've got two F806 the SB53 in Bamboo and just ordered a Fenglass 7wt - didn't get a screaming deal, but the reel I wanted was discounted as well. Next up is getting some lines - probably over line to 8wts. I think I can touch Pike with that set up too.

Those are some nice flies he makes, thanks for the link. I am not too far from the Sesq, and I want to get up North in the more wade-able waters.

Cool thanks for the pointers!

Back