Tandem rigs for smallies

henrydavid

henrydavid

Does anyone use a tandem rig for smallmouth. I fish the North Branch of the Susquehanna, been toying with the idea of trying a 2 fly rig. I primarily fish size 4-6 wooly buggers. I was considering trying a crayfish imitation along with a big bugger.

henrydavid wrote:
Does anyone use a tandem rig for smallmouth. I fish the North Branch of the Susquehanna, been toying with the idea of trying a 2 fly rig. I primarily fish size 4-6 wooly buggers. I was considering trying a crayfish imitation along with a big bugger.

Once in a while two flies down under - maybe a bugger and big nymph. But often fish a dry/dropper.....lol, which consists of a good sized popper or some type of floater with bugger or nymph trailer. It works as a good searching rig.

I fish tandems for SMBs a lot.
Usually, this involves a big nymph with a small nymph dropper. Oftentimes the small nymph nails red-breast sunnies while the big bug gets the smallies and rock bass.

Hahaha! On Saturday I went smallie fishing w/ Tim Robinsin and my brother. Later on in the day, I put on a big white wulff with a big green weenie dropped off the end. They both made fun of me, but then I started nailing several smallies (nothing big, but still).

I never tried it before, I just saw white mayflies coming off randomly, and I figured under the tree cover, there were probably lots of inch worms and such dropping off the branches.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
They both made fun of me...

Messin' with Sasquatch. We've all seen how that turns out. :lol:

I actually put the rig on to try and get some of those big carp that swim around the Swattie. It surprised me when the smallies started taking the green weenie!

Back