Tandem rig and big trout

mute

mute

Does anyone know how to have my tandem rig or properly fight \ turn fish so that second fly doesn't end up in their side and you end up losing fish \ having to drag in a fish on its side and miss out on the fight?

This usually only happens with larger fish, 18"+. I feel like it happens when they start turning back and fourth and my line rubs up against them in the process hooking into their side \ tail \ gut.

Here's a prime example below that happened this weekend. It starts out with a fight in the mouth and ends up dragging in a fish sideways.

My setup is usually small shot, then 4-6" below that bigger fly, then 4-12 inches below that, smaller fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4HH5CuPJrU

Space out the distance between your two flies. I usually start out around 18 inches, and when they start getting closer to 12 inches based on break offs and re-ties, I will re-rig it back to 18 inches. I watched your video, and that type of thing happens very rarely with better spacing. Stocked trout occasional to that ridiculous death roll when hooked, which I think is main cause, but the extra distance should prevent some of that.

Also, I am not here to lecture, but I hope you kept that Pali and baked him up based on those handling skills. You've been on this site for far too long to be handling a trout like that in a catch and release situation. I am not broken up about, and I've always enjoyed your posts. I am not even saying you killed the fish, but you certainly did not help it by not using a net, grabbing it like that, taking it 4 foot up the bank, pressing it on the ground to unhook it and leaving it there next to your rod for the video, after dragging it in backwards. In all reality, it's a palomino, and a nice one at that, so if you didn't kill it, someone will.

Thanks for the info. No worries on the lecture. I kill less then 5 fish a year. And they're all stocked goldfish. Gave this one to an old man who I offered a photo for. The handling you saw in this video is you're going to die handling.

My ethics are get the yellow eye sores out of the streams as quick as possible and I have a more pleasing crowd free experience into the rest of the season

3wt7X wrote:
Space out the distance between your two flies. I usually start out around 18 inches, and when they start getting closer to 12 inches based on break offs and re-ties, I will re-rig it back to 18 inches. I watched your video, and that type of thing happens very rarely with better spacing. Stocked trout occasional to that ridiculous death roll when hooked, which I think is main cause, but the extra distance should prevent some of that.

Also, I am not here to lecture, but I hope you kept that Pali and baked him up based on those handling skills. You've been on this site for far too long to be handling a trout like that in a catch and release situation. I am not broken up about, and I've always enjoyed your posts. I am not even saying you killed the fish, but you certainly did not help it by not using a net, grabbing it like that, taking it 4 foot up the bank, pressing it on the ground to unhook it and leaving it there next to your rod for the video, after dragging it in backwards. In all reality, it's a palomino, and a nice one at that, so if you didn't kill it, someone will.

Heard him in the video say he was giving it to somebody, sounds like it was gonna get eaten. I don't like a lot of space personally because its tougher to detect strikes. I actually think if you keep it closer your less lilely to get the body but I might be in the minority. I think the long distance puts you closer to the tail, which is moving more, but we have all had it happen. Don't seem to have as many problems when I tie the droppers to the tags above.

All I know is that fish would be going on my wall!

I learned from the Euro guys and start with 24" between flies and retie when spacing is less than 20". It has worked well for me.

Attachments

• czech nymphing leader diagram.jpg
    czech nymphing leader diagram.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 3
  • czech-nymphing-leader-set-up.jpg
    czech-nymphing-leader-set-up.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 3
Man, 20" to 24" apart. I'm more like 10". Don't understand the concept of a fly over 2' away from any weight. I do get some foul hooks but thought I was getting more when I had the flies spaced further apart.

McSneek wrote:
Man, 20" to 24" apart. I'm more like 10". Don't understand the concept of a fly over 2' away from any weight. I do get some foul hooks but thought I was getting more when I had the flies spaced further apart.

The flies are the weight.....

McSneek wrote:

Are you tying your droppers to the fly or to the tag like in the diagram?

I fish 2 streamers about a foot apart or tie a nymph off the back of the streamer more then a foot casting gets interesting for me.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
All I know is that fish would be going on my wall!

You would need a pretty big bowl to put him in.

skin mount

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again.

ryansheehan wrote:
McSneek wrote:

Like the diagram. Using weighted flies without adding weight gives you a direct connection to the fly (and the fish) for better strike detection.

If I do add weight, I'll add it on the first dropper or at the point. Adding splitshot on the point gets you down, prevents snags, and if you do snag on the bottom the ss usually slides off (I do tie a overhand knot near the tag end to keep the ss from sliding off too easily). In weed/mossy streams the trailing shot picks up the junk instead of my flies and the ss keeps me down where the fish are.

Here is info on all types of Euro rigs, flies and how to fish them:
http://www.bluequillangler.com/site/european_nymphing_techniques/european_nymphing_techniques.html

My bad for not reading thoroughly and realizing the flies are weighted. My tandem nymphing has been limited to tying a second fly off the bend of the hook and using splitshot to get them down. I do tie a lot of my larger nymphs with weight. It works pretty well for me. Maybe if I get up the energy someday I'll try something like this Czech set up.

McSneek wrote:
My bad for not reading thoroughly and realizing the flies are weighted. My tandem nymphing has been limited to tying a second fly off the bend of the hook and using splitshot to get them down. I do tie a lot of my larger nymphs with weight. It works pretty well for me. Maybe if I get up the energy someday I'll try something like this Czech set up.

It's fun to try different things.

Back a long time ago I used to tie to the bend to fish a second fly. I noticed I hardly ever hooked up on the upper fly. I changed it up and tied my upper fly to a dropper by tying on a long tag (the bottom one) of a surgeons knot. My hook up ratio on the upper fly went up tremendously. Give it a try.

I'd have to agree the handling in this video is pretty poor bordering on embarrassing but hey at least he got that sweet pic and go pro video.

Moon,
He killed the banana. I didn't have the audio on when I made my initial comment. Swapped a photo for a Pali dinner. With that being said, he should have clubbed the thing, to put it out of its misery... Come on mute :)

afishinado wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:
McSneek wrote:

Like the diagram. Using weighted flies without adding weight gives you a direct connection to the fly (and the fish) for better strike detection.

If I do add weight, I'll add it on the first dropper or at the point. Adding splitshot on the point gets you down, prevents snags, and if you do snag on the bottom the ss usually slides off (I do tie a overhand knot near the tag end to keep the ss from sliding off too easily). In weed/mossy streams the trailing shot picks up the junk instead of my flies and the ss keeps me down where the fish are.

Here is info on all types of Euro rigs, flies and how to fish them:
http://www.bluequillangler.com/site/european_nymphing_techniques/european_nymphing_techniques.html

I figured you were, I was asking sneak since there seemed to be some confusion.

Moon, come at me bro. U mad?

Lol 3wt7x, a rock to the head a few times did the trick. Rather not have him suffer anymore then he has in the stream the last 3 weeks

Back