Talk me in to (or out of ) a trout spey rod

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

First I'll mention that I build my own rods, so I'm looking for a project. I already have a 10'8" 7wt switch rod. It's nice for steelhead at Erie, and Smallmouth on the Susquehanna and Potomac but it feels like a big rod for both of those applications. After half a day of fishing with the switch rod, I usually got back to a regular fly rod. I have an interest in building and fishing a trout spey rod, perhaps something in the 11' 3 or 4wt range. I live in south central PA. In all honesty we don't have a lot of water that this particular rod and style of fishing would be useful. Still, I want one! Does anyone have experience using a trout spey rod?

I have a 10'8" 5wt that I had built. I have used it a few times to swing streamers and it is fun to cast. I took it to the Lehigh and Delaware and l like it on those bigger waters. I think it would be good on smaller streams too but I have not tried it them.
my 2 cents :)

Line ratings of spay/swich are 2-3 wts lighter than actual lines the rod could cast.
7wt swich/spay would be a 9-10 wt.
A 4 wt spay would = a 6wt.

They're not just for large rivers. I use mine when the Gunpowder is too deep for safe wading. I can step maybe a foot or two into the stream and not have to worry about a backcast.

They're also fun to use for smallmouth.

I use an 11’ 4” “Spey” 4wt often. I fish the Lehigh and Delaware and enjoy using it on occasion. It’s handy in areas with little back cast room. Just another tool to enjoy fishing.

It will be tough to sell after you decide you hate it in 6 months 😁

(Not an expert opinion.)
My casting abilities could never be referred to as "epic", so I've learned that good drifts are more important - to me. I no longer feel the need to reach all the way across a river, but that may have more to do with my personal preference to getting close and fishing a dry fly.
As you mentioned that you (bigslackwater) build your own rods, just make the one you want. You can always sell/trade it later if field-tests are less than satisfactory.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to try it.

Back