Take Action - Ray's Boathouse Serving Wild Steelhead

W

wsender

From Moldychum...

Ray's Boathouse has Olympic Peninsula wild steelhead on their menu.

Here is a letter courtesy of Osprey Steelhead News that you can e-mail to Ray's to let them know it is just not cool to be serving wild steelhead. If you're not from the area you should still send an e-mail and add that you will not patronize Ray's if you ever visit the Seattle area unless they stop the practice.

Send to rays@rays.com

Hello,

It has come to my attention that your restaurant is serving wild steelhead from the Queets River (and presumably other rivers) from the Quinault Indian Tribe. Wild steelhead are endangered species act listed throughout much of their range in the United States. In Washington State, stocks of steelhead in the Columbia River, Snake River, and all of Puget Sound have been listed under the ESA within the last 20 years. Steelhead in other areas in Washington continue to decline. In coastal areas on the Olympic Peninsula where the Quinaults and other tribes fish, rivers are largely protected in the Olympic National Park, so freshwater habitat is in very good condition. Yet in recent years several of the rivers including the Hoh, Queets, Quileute (including the Sol Duc, Bogahciel and Calawah), and others, have failed to meet the minimum spawning escapement goals established by the state. The Hoh river has failed to meet its goal the majority of years recently, and in 2009 none of the above mentioned rivers met their goals, and the Queets missed its goal by more than 1/2, meaning that less than half the minimum number of fish needed to spawn to produce the next generation did so. This failure to meet escapement goals is a major conservation issue and could result in coastal stocks being ESA listed eventually too. Yet it is totally preventable. In all of the cases where escapement goals were not met, had tribal harvest been curtailed, escapement would have been met, meaning that the run was large enough to meet the goals but due to irresponsible and unsustainable tribal overharvest, the runs did not meet their goals. I am very disappointed to see your fine restaurant supporting this unsustainable harvest of wild steelhead and would ask that your restaurant take it off the menu immediately. All of the data I have referenced above is available from the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife if you would like to see it for yourself. Please stop serving wild steelhead. Thank you.

Sincerely,
xxxxxx

(Via: Osprey Steelhead News)

You can also go to the Ray's page on Urban Spoon and scroll down to the first review, which takes them to task for serving wild steel, and hit recommend.

Thanks for the help.

Update on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 at 12:29PM by El Guapo
Whistling past the graveyard

Osprey has an update.

If you sent an email to Ray's boathouse yesterday regarding their decision to serve steelhead on their menu, chances are you got a form letter from Peter Birk explaining that Ray's is committed to providing sustainable locally harvested sea food to its customers and that steelhead are not ESA listed on the Peninsula and therefore the fishery is sustainable. While the point is valid we have to ask ourselves, do we really want to be harvesting the last non-listed stocks of wild steelhead in Washington State.

QuileyuteEscapement_Small.png

I'm confused!
Al-fish+sustainable-rays= :pint:

just kidding BTW! I don't support the eating of the last remain stocks of wild steelhead.

I would not eat any other kind...

BEND, Ore. -- The steelhead run on the Lower Deschutes this year will not match last year's record-setting number, but anglers should still find good fishing on the river well into November, according to fish biologists.

By this time last fall, more than 500,000 steelhead had made their way over The Dalles Dam, the highest annual number since the dam was completed in 1957, according to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers fish passage reports. This week, that year-to-date number was only about 330,000.

Read more: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2010/10/23/1221586/deschutes-steelhead-run-shy-of.html#ixzz1BXVK0jtB

well in that case, eat em up! I thought there were only a handful left. seems to be lots. wild fish ARE always better than farm fish

I seem to recall a push from National TU to INSIST on WILD STEELHEAD when eating out at a restaurant. This would assure the need to prop up the wild stocks of the treasured gamefish.

According to Toms numbers, perhaps it has been working.

I also recall something about a politician in the early to mid 2000's Rep of Nevada? Washington State? not knowing there were wild salmon, thought they all came from hatcheries. Or rather when the concern over a dam blocking the spawning salmon and steelhead spawn she said something like, why are you worried about those fish, they can just grow more in a hatchery, thats why they have them.

It might even have been W who said it.

Maurice wrote:
I seem to recall a push from National TU to INSIST on WILD STEELHEAD when eating out at a restaurant. This would assure the need to prop up the wild stocks of the treasured gamefish.

According to Toms numbers, perhaps it has been working.

I also recall something about a politician in the early to mid 2000's Rep of Nevada? Washington State? not knowing there were wild salmon, thought they all came from hatcheries. Or rather when the concern over a dam blocking the spawning salmon and steelhead spawn she said something like, why are you worried about those fish, they can just grow more in a hatchery, thats why they have them.

It might even have been W who said it.

Yes, the campaign is to insist on Wild salmon and I guess steelhead were included too instead of the farm-raised option precisely for the reason you outlined. If wild fish become important to restaurants because of customer demand, public awareness, etc. much more importance and money will be spent on properly protecting and managing healthy stocks of wild salmonids.

If salmon is on the menu at a restaurant, I always ask to know if it is wild Pacific salmon or farm-raised Atlantic salmon. I will only order it if it's the former. I also buy only wild salmon, when it is in season, from the market as well. Several times I've asked if its in and when told no I've also been informed that atlantic salmon is available. I use that as an opening to educate them on the preference for wild salmon over farm-raised.

I've seen farm-raised steelhead in the store but never bought it. I don't know how that I'd order wild steelhead at a restaurant, given the state of steelhead stocks. I guess if there are indeed good, sustainable runs where the commercial harvest is being well-regulated, I'd like to enjoy it.

It's a tough call for me. I would think the locals would be the best ones to figure that one out , not excluding TU local chapters , thinking that less outside influence would be best on that one.

You should always eat wild fish. The farm raised crap is far worse for the environment.

Back