Tails for Dry Flies

RCFetter

RCFetter

I know it depends on the specific fly but in general terms what material is typically used?

Is pheasant tail ok for dry flies?

Also, I found some spade hackle classified as "dry fly tailing" by Nature's Spirit. Is this stuff any good?

The Nature's Spirit tailing fibers are pretty good. You can also find tailing fibers by looking for coq de leon. Pheasant tail fibers will work but to me they are too thick and too brittle. Microfibbets work if you are not adverse to synthetics. Depending on the style of dry, you could also use a bit of zelon for the tail as a trailing shuck.

Plenty of options out there. I use in this order: coq de leon, microfibbets, Nature's Spirit tailing material.

It is dependent on the pattern, the catskill ties call for hackle tips, wulffs for varied types of hair usually deer hair or moose main. There is no reason to not substitute different materials especially if it makes the fly float better. The reason the tail is there is to loft the hook out of the surface film so whatever accomplishes that is a good thing.
Tails aso balance the fly for 2 reasons, 1, to make it more aerodynamic; 2, to make a straight line from the hackle tips through the hook point the the tip of the tail, this is what lifts the fly. A perfectly tied dry fly would need no floatant.

I wouldn't use pheasant tail for dry fly tails. It's not very stiff and absorbs water. Spade hackles are good, and I like coq de leon as well. One thing I tend to use a lot on darker flies like Adams in larger sizes is moose body hair. It floats well and looks pretty good.

Spade hackle fibers are good, thats what I use. Grab a dun hackle for them. Or micro fibbets for spinners work too.

Spade hackle seems to be getting shorter and shorter in length through the years.

Should simply use the appropriate hackle fibers from a standard rooster neck. You don't have to buy anything special.

Chaz wrote:
Should simply use the appropriate hackle fibers from a standard rooster neck. You don't have to buy anything special.

^ Yep. Smaller feathers for hackle towards the top and middle, from bottom of the neck, strip off some fibers from the larger feathers for the tail.

Attachments

• neck.jpg
    neck.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 2
Chaz wrote:

I don't have a full neck. In addition to a couple of 100 packs I did pick up a silver grade Whiting half cape and the longest fibers on it are too short, at least for me, to handle.

Deer or moose hair works.

Microfibbets if you're flush with cash, a nylon paint brush with tapered ends if you're not.

Never bother with feather bits. Hair is better.

gfen wrote:
Deer or moose hair works.
Never bother with feather bits. Hair is better.

I never thought of that. Thanks gfen!

I guess elk hair would work too?

Do you know I stepped on Afish's rod?

You did him a favour by making it right-sized.

Back