Tackle shop in Erie

kfly

kfly

I'm going fly fishing for the first time in the tribs of Erie for Steelhead in a couple of weeks.
I have a fly rod but don't know exactly what to buy for flies and indicators and such.

Is there a reasonably priced tackle shop in Erie that would have what I'm looking for?

I heard Poor Richard's mentioned in some other post, how do you rate that one?

Poor Richards is a popular spot and should have everything you need.
There are a plethora of shops, so just about everywhere you go, you likely won't be too far from one.
BAC Bait
317 Peninsula Drive
Phone: 814.838.2850

BAC Bait
7490 West Lake Road
Fairview, PA 16415
Phone: 814.474.3992

Elk Creek Sports Store
10543 Old Lake Road
Lake City, PA 16423
Web: www.elkcreeksports.net
Phone: 814.774.8755

Lake Erie Ultimate Angler
3737 West 12th St.
Erie, PA 16505
Web: www.lakeerieultimateangler.com
Email: Leua@velocity.net
Phone: 814.833.4040

Folly's End Campground, Fly, Tackle & Bait Shop
8600 Avonia Road
Girard, PA 16417
Phone: 814.474.5730

These are some of the ones I'm familiar with...
There is also a Gander Mountain at the Millcreek Mall.

Good luck and have fun.

Most fly shops in PA should be able to set you up for steelhead. I suggest hitting up your local shop and getting as prepared as possible in advance. You'll be able to get on the water early and not be at the mercy of a shop's opening time or waste a bunch of time going out of your way to pick up what you'll need. Steelhead flies, leaders, etc. are pretty much the same sort of things you'd use for a day of nymphing for trout. Heck, most basic trout nymphs will work great on steelhead too. Throw in a few colors of sucker spawn style flies and you're set.

Kev

kfly,
Welcome to PAFF.

Good advice from David and PennKev and good luck with your trip to Erie.

Sucker spawn and egg patterns are good, as well as nymphs. I would recommend some thingamabobbers to help float your fly at the appropriate level.

For leaders, I would something in the 8-10 lb test, as well as tippet.

I'm using 4x for both my leader and tippet; thats about 8.6 or so. Leaders are 10 -12 feet long.

Other than that, I'm taking my 9' 8wt and a 9' 6wt for a backup using WF floating line.

Good luck! Hope you post some of your success stories.

thanks for all of the suggestions.

Just a heads up.
All of the other shops listed support the local Clubs. Be it the S.O.N.S., NWTU, PA Steelheaders, Gem City, ect.
BAC does not support any of them. The owner has ben contacted on numerous times for donations, only to say"what do I get out of it?" Just remember that when you support his shops.

all tackle prices in erie are the same ..maybe on the high side but not ridiculous by any means !

Don't forget FISHUSA on west 12th st.
Also RTE 5 west at the turn for Trout Run (avonia). Trout Run Anglers' ? I forget the name... There's a young greek dude that runs this sweet little bait/tackle shop. It's LOADED with fly tying stuff (much more so than Poor Richard's, though PR's is a wonderful resource). Haven't been to the Gander MNTN at the Millcreek Mall yet...

mcfinn,

I'm pretty sure the shop you are referring to is BAC? Are you talking about the one at the corner of Rt 5 and 98, or is it another location?

CRB, thanks foor passing along that knowledge, I didn't realize BAC didn't support the local clubs. Definately something to think about.

jaybo41 - that shop on RTE 5 could be BAC, now that i think of it...
forgot 98 was the road to the lake at Trout Run. Man, i remember riding my bike when that was a DIRT road. And by riding bikes, i mean FLEEING back to east side Erie as the Fairview guys didn't like our Prep jackets near their part of the lake!

Poor Richards , which has a couple shops , if i'm not mistaken , supports 3cu , which are the ones responsibile for all of this , NO?

Although I have not been in ALL the tackle shops in the Erie area, I"ve been to several and would say that if your after material to tie all the popular trib, go-to flies, I would advise you pay a visit to Folly's End. The shop has all the right colors of angora yarn, Senko's lazer yarn, etc. Good hooks are as important as the pattern you tie and Folly's has the hooks as well. Light wire hooks will cost you big time when fighting steel and I for one like at least a 2x stout for solid hook sets and reducing the chance of the hook straightening out. I've lost enough fish on cheap hooks or by making poor choices on hook selection to wise me up. I can't wait to get up there myself!

Jeff

I always hate to weigh in on topics this way but I just can't keep quiet on this one. I have been to Poor Richards twice and I have never met a more rude bunch of people who had absolutely no interest in being helpful. I will never buy a single thing in that shop.

Sorry to be a hater but I have nothing positive to say on that place.

Pittflyguy - Have you seen Skybay's videos of the Steelhead Jam? He has some footage of Dottie Haible - owner of Poor Richard's in there. I'm not sure, but I think the shop was bought out by her not all that long ago.

I've been in there several times this year, and without fail, Dottie was very helpful and friendly. She was joking and carrying on with us, and always had a smile on her face. She's a nice lady.

Heritage,

I have not met Dottie.... My experience was over the last two years. Always up for giving a shop another try, hopefully things have changed. :)

I use poor richards as well. Anymore I tie my own, but if I forgot somethng I go there. Steelhead flys do not need to be perfect by anymeans. I suggest trying to tie your own because it can get kind of expensive always buying what you need. Any typical nymph pattern especially bead heads work well and a mix of egg patterns(sucker spawn, glo bugs, etc.) and colors will work just fine. If you are having some success and things begin to slow just switch patterns. Constantly rotating through my flys when I know I am over fish has worked very well to keep the action going.

Back