switch rod

P

Perkasiezeb

contemplating a switch rod for some fishing on the upper D and larger rivers. Was thinking in the range of 11ft 6 weight, but don't know anything about lines or who to ask for good advice. I figure a sales person is just going to sell me a rod, not direct me to the right one. Any feedback would be appreciated.

over head cast would be a 8wt line. I have 5 wt cpx and have a 7wt for overhead work.

there have been a few switch rod threads in the past few months...

the main question would be, What are you looking to do with the rod?
that will help pick the rod and line setup

Will Turek with SAO/Midwest spey. He's the resident spey and switch rod expert. Nice guy, good teacher and very knowlagable. Shoot him an email, I'm sure he'll answer questions. When I emailed him, it took a little while to get a response but he did respond. His email address is in the contact info section on the SAO blog, here's the link.

http://steelheadalleyoutfitters.blogspot.com/

-B

I have two switch rods a Scott T2H 10'8" 5 wt and a Redington 11'3" 8 weight. They are both great for nymph fishing. I've use mine on the delaware for nymphing that is about it. If you want a double duty rod for nymph and dry work on the Delaware I'd get a 9'6" 5 wt or 6 wt. the switch is a little hard to manage with dries.

Perkasiezeb wrote:
contemplating a switch rod for some fishing on the upper D and larger rivers. Was thinking in the range of 11ft 6 weight, but don't know anything about lines or who to ask for good advice. I figure a sales person is just going to sell me a rod, not direct me to the right one. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I have been looking into this as well. I am looking for something to fish Kinzua tailrace for big browns and smb. I am looking into a bulah 6/7 spey rod. It is a little longer than the switch rods. I need something to chuck heavy flies for when the smallies are on the bottom...Let me know what you find as I'm still shopping
Thanks
Greg.

i picked up a switch rod from the classic fly fisherman in lansdale, he's very helpful. pm me if u need number.

Back