Switch rod in a kayak?

Crotalus

Crotalus

Anyone using a switch rod for two handed overhead casting while sitting in a kayak? If so what rod and how does it work for you.

Looking to try a switch to relieve stress on my wrist that was just operated on for carpal tunnel.

thanks
Joe

nope. don't try it either. you'll 100% roll the kayak.

the focused weight transference will be too much.

learn to cast with your other hand. all it takes is practice - also get a metal splint for your wrist, not a foam or plastic one.

you can start by practising with a stick or ruler in a chair - its just muscle memory.

O was going to say.... Switch rod in kayak = flipped kayak.

I kinda thinking that you would get a bath to but I would wait till warm water and give it a try.Tie your gear down just in case.No one can say it cant be done.

i have fished in a solid wood 16ft row boat on the Spey at Grantown on Spey which weighed around 400lbs and held 3 people and a dog, and that rocked with my 14ft 9wt DH.

a kayak or a canoe will flip. the weight transference is too much imho.

I have seen that guy in the dos equis commercial do it. the yak had a dihedral hull though.

Usually you need to have a solid foundation to transfer energy to the rod. It would be like Spey casting on slippery ice or a pad of butter. You can do it but it isn't pretty.

Back