Susquehanna T. U.----Don Bastian

M

maxima12

How the world woks is unknown to me. I posted a T U kickoff, called a friend, was notified Don Bastian, Susquehanna T. U. has passed away.

I am tired of loss. How about you? When is the gain going to start!

We as fly fishermen try and are set back!

Don, a fine gentleman, ultimate fly tyer , just a damn good person, gone! This fortifies my thoughts, fly fish, fish, enjoy Pa. NOW!

Live today, like it could be the last day! Strive to enhance tomorrow because tomorrow may never come!

Infuse yourself to now. No better time! Wait a little and wait forever!

Pa. Glorious by design, beautiful by nature. Take it, explore it, smell it, taste it before you can not!

Maxima12

That is sad news.

https://www.sungazette.com/obituaries/2021/02/donald-w-donnie-bastian-2/

Sun gazette, obituaries, page 5.

thanks, troutbert for your thoughtfulness help.

Don was a good man. He was funny, kind and he could sing like one of the Jordanaires.

I only ever fished with him a couple times and it has been a long while. But he was probably the best nymph angler I ever wet a line with.

RIP..

Took a tying class with Don at Fishing Creek Outfitters back in 1990 or 91. My techniques and abilities increased substantially- I learned more in those two days than in the previous 13 years. Rest easy Don.

Don helped me out years ago when I was struggling finding good quills when tying some of the Bergman wets.

He took the time to hand pick and sell me a ton of pared quills when I couldn't find anything good in my local shops and gave me some good advice.

A great guy and another Pennsylvania legend.

RIP Don...

Sorry to read of this man's loss. It sounds like he was a really good person.

This is sad news. I was just on his old blog yesterday and I noticed that he hadn't posted for about 6 years. His Bergman wet fly collection was/is a huge influence on me. His winged wets were simply perfect. I traded several emails with him quite a while ago now and he patiently answered my questions. Eventually I purchased some matched pairs of dyed duck quills from him. Such a talented tyer and a kind man.

Thanks for posting.

I’m very sorry to hear that. I’d messaged him last year via a YouTube video where he demoed his technique for tying split tails and he was tremendously helpful. I’ve been in awe of his classic streamer, wet, and salmon patterns. He was a rare talent and we’re poorer for his loss

Very sad, a relatively young man by today's life expectancy. Very good advice to live life fully and don't over think the long term. I'll be 78 in a few months and am still fishing often in the warmer months and go to Montana every year.

Wbranch , hat's off to you brother! The smooth of age, the desire, again and again, till again is no more! Again i say, with that Rebel Yell.

I was lucky to know Don. Don was also lucky to know

me! That was the way it was. We shared!

Maxima12

Back