Susquehanna River article on anglers that think the river isn't impaired.

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
Mike, it's not just the lower river... I spend most of my time on the Juniata from Lewistown down to the mouth as well as the main stem from sunbury down to York haven.... the rock bass population today is just a minute fraction of what it used to be in the 80s and 90s. I think the PFBC doesn't like to talk about it because it's an embarrassment that these fish all but collapsed on their watch and nothing has been done about it. They still have some hope for SMB, as we all know bass fishing can be pretty dang good at times... The fishery has just changed, that is undeniable.

I believe the same can be said for the Conestoga River. My first few years fishing it would yield a rock bass for every smallie caught. Now I haven't seen one in a few years now.

Back when I fished the Susquehanna in the 80's and 90's rock bass were everywhere. The past few years I hadn't caught a single one.

My own unscientific opinion is that rock bass are rather scarcer pretty much everywhere I fish these days. With that said, I have not personally seen a rock bass in the lower Susky in recent years. I have seen redbreast sunfish in the river but they're a rare sight.

On the bright side, I have seen good numbers of spawning rock bass in the lower Juniata in recent years and have had some great fishing for redbreasts on the lower "J." Although perhaps less common than in the past, rockies and redbreasts are holding on in the "J" and (one can hope) will gradually help to re-populate the Susky.

Mike- "ONCE" ended sometime in the early 1990's. Recall catching Rock Bass in lower river and all the tribs. In fact Red Hill to below Holtwood is the section I fished most. Can recall catching MANY right at Falmouth below dam . Another area we caught them was around the bridges in Columbia, We even got the PAFBC citations for big ones. The pools in the area below Holtwood were full of them and also Green Sunfish. I went back for a few years but it gradually wasn't worth it. I should go out there again this summer I guess. I would actually challenge someone to go out and catch even ONE Rock Bass in the lower river now. If you doubt what I'm saying just talk to Bob Clouser. He spent years fishing that area above Middletown and will tell you the same.

Anyone catch big Fallfish in the Conestoga? Used to have a good population. Seemed to go away around late 90's if I recall.

What do you consider a large fallfish ? I get two or three 12 inchers during the summer. It's definitely less than I used to get 5 or so years ago but then again in the areas I would catch them the river bottom has changed a lot .

I have but not like I do in the swattie.

Back