Susquehanna R smallmouth - excellent numbers last night

M

Mike

The Accomac site reported on in the past in the Area 6 PFBC biologist reports produced excellent numbers of smallmouth bass last night during a two hour electrofishing run of a few miles. Ninety-three smallmouths, with about 25 being fifteen inches long and longer was the catch. Included in that were four 19 inchers. Encouraging for the future was the number of fish less than 12 inches long. It was also a night for an abundance of large carp, numerous channel cats, and unusual for this site at this time of the year, only a few walleye. Delaware River electrofishing crews are also recording good smallmouth bass catches with more large fish than usual from Easton to the Water Gap. Juniata River crews are also doing well. Each time the water levels drop a bit PFBC crews are back on the water doing night-time electrofishing. Good flows are probably contributing to the abundance of near-shore fish. The water is not crowded, but anglers were also out last night, primarily fishing for catfish.

Thanks!!! This is such wonderful news to hear!
Nature is a strong thing, it can recover from almost anything.

Dear Mike,

I don't want to rain on your parade but finding fish in the lower 40 miles of the river, while encouraging for anglers who live in York County, doesn't really do much for people who live 40 miles up river.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Tim,

I get your point, but much of the lower river SMB fishery has declined as well. Nevertheless, within that stretch there are still some gems, such as the segment I have described. It is likely that such gems are also present upstream, but perhaps they only reveal themselves at certain (higher) autumn flows. It is at that time when many anglers have hung up their boots, winterized their motors, or switched to other activities. Check this Board for instance; they're still fishing for trout, but the summer chatter about smallmouth bass has vanished. As you probably know, fall has traditionally been the best time to catch SMB's on the river.

Mike

Great news! I'm eager to see the graphs comparing this with recent years.

My bass fishing the last couple months has been pretty disappointing due to high water levels but I'm still hoping to hit my favorite rivers a few more times this fall. October is a great bass month on the medium and larger rivers (not so much for creeks).

Does this mean the Susque smallmouth populations are really rebounding? If so, what is causing that?

Dear Mike,

Trust me, I know all about the fishing methods and preferences of the PA Flyfish for Trout Message board. ;-)

My two largest smallmouth both came post spawn, in early June. However, the majority of my 20 inch plus smallmouth came after a couple of days of hard frosts in late October. I know when they tie on the feedbag for Winter.

And I truly wasn't trying to dismiss or demean your news about the lower river. Good news is still good news and it is appreciated.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Back