Susquehanna North Branch Access

S

supervdl

I am new to smallmouth fishing on the fly rod, but with the temps being high and flows low on most trout streams I have thought that I give the trout a break and try some smallie fishing.

I will be wading because I don't want to go through the hassle with the kayak portage most of the time.

I have looked at the Susquehanna N branch and between White Ferry and the boat access just downstream of Tunkhannock looks like good smallie water with lots of boulders and stretches of water pretty shallow for wading.

Is there any public access and parking to the river between those two boat launches? Any other pointers for someone going for smallies the first time?

Not looking for any secret fishing spots just general information and feel free to pm me if you don't want to post in open forum.

Thanks!

As far as I know, there is only the PAFBC access behind WalMart & the small airport runway that's between White's and the park in Tunckhannock.

This map should help: PA Water Trails

Zoom in on the North Branch of the Susky and click on the white flags for access info.

If the river level is low (

I am not familiar with the North Branch so I cannot help you with access options and whatnot. What I can say is that on the Juniata I have some of my best and most fun times fishing topwater flies on bright, sunny, blue sky type of days. Sure, I've experienced better fishing at certain low light periods and catch bigger fish relating to dawn, dusk, and weather changes, but generally on bright and sunny days I can encourage small bass to readily come to the surface basically day long.

I'm also not familiar on north branch up that way I focus on the Bloomsburg, catawissa, Danville area but maybe henrydavid will see this post and chime in I think he lives up that way.

Access can be found fairly easy on Susquehanna just find a decent place to park your car and get to the river

Just beware smallmouth fishing is extremely addicting

Thanks for the help. Anyone else has some pointers for a rookie?

Try a chartreuse over yellow clouser when you do find a spot. I always have luck with that on the Susquehanna in Nepa, and most other places.

Back