Susquehanna@Marietta/Accomac: Raftman

M

Mike

Good to meet the Raftman this evening at the river. There is still time to have some good SMB hook and line fishing. In 1.5 hrs of electrofishing the tally was approximately 150-200 SMB up to 20 inches, about 35 walleye up to 23 inches, two muskies, with the largest being 37 inches, and too many channel catfish to count. No flatheads. There were very good numbers of SMB between 11-15 inches. All fish caught in four feet or less of water.

Wow - some very encouraging results.
Early November can be a good month for river bass fishing but I typically expect to find fish in deeper pools - so many fish in under 4' is interesting, especially considering the generally low water levels the river has experienced this fall. Also good info on walleyes, muskies, and catties (and no flatheads). The large number of SMBs correlates with the positive angling results many of us had this summer.

Mike,
We're seeing a pattern here with SMBs and walleyes in your section of the river. The walleye YOY count was good and adult 'eyes are present in good numbers.

I'm assuming the PFBC dropped that section from the walleye fingerling stocking program(?). It seems to me that parts of the Susky may have been added back to the walleye program(?). What's the scoop? Are walleyes still stocked in that part of the Susky and, if not, roughly how long has it been since stocking ceased? Are other sections upriver seeing the same good natural repro? Thanks.

I believe that the historic stocking records would show that "my" stretch of the river, which goes from York Haven Dam's tail race to the MD line has not been stocked since prior to World War II. I can say for certain that walleye were present in abundance during WWII and that during my tenure and that of my predecessor no walleye stockings occurred in the stretch that I just described, so that takes us back to 1975. In the Middle Susquehanna stockings had occurred off and on for a number of years and it is still trying to be determined through an actual study whether recent stockings have contributed substantially to the population and its growth. What is known as the North Branch has excellent reproduction and has had good fishing for at least as long as I have been exposed to that stretch...beginning in 1976. In fact, I used to fish it and have fished parts of "my" stretch for walleye with success many times and used to fish it as a child and teen from 1959-1970.

Great news. Thanks for the update.

Mike,

It was great meeting you on my evening walk the other night. Thanks for the chat and all you do! Great report!

- Raftman (Michael)

Back