Susquehanna & Juniata River SMB surveys PFBC

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Smalleepalooza!

Adult smallies populations back to levels in the 90's for numbers and size...and bigger fish now in some cases. YOY results sorta average.

http://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/Fisheries/SusquehannaRiverManagement/Documents/SMB_SusquehannaJuniata_samplingData.pdf

This is great and obviously shown through many anglers success on the river.
I did not comment on my year of smallie fishing in the other thread, since I got out less after July. Health issues. Even still the fishing had been great.
I believe this is a good testament to C&R fishing. Those regs have helped the amount of larger bass greatly.
Hopefully yoy improves. Great news but we ain't out of the woods yet.

Wow!

This bears out the numerous anecdotal claims of good bass fishing in the J and lower Susky. The population structure of SMBs from age one to 15" is very strong.

A point worth remembering is that a 15" river SMB in PA is about 7-8 years old. In other words, the current strong population of big fish over 15 inches are from the year classes from about 2009 going back to about 2003 (for a 20" fish). This was during the height of the early years of the bass crash when there was great concern that younger fish would not survive (and many didn't). Nevertheless, we can conclude that fish that survived those years had good continued survival.

Another, I think this is less likely... possibility is that the current numbers of big fish may involve significant numbers of fish that have migrated down into the middle and lower Susky from the West and North Branch.

Another positive angle that leads to optimism is the fact that there are so many adult fish and large adult fish. Such an increase in numbers of adult fish should result in more spawning and this may start to improve YOY in coming years (let's hope).

I'm still concerened about the poor YOY, however, survival of adult fish is looking very good and the numbers of fish of the size range we like to catch is tremendous.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
This is great and obviously shown through many anglers success on the river.
I did not comment on my year of smallie fishing in the other thread, since I got out less after July. Health issues. Even still the fishing had been great.
I believe this is a good testament to C&R fishing. Those regs have helped the amount of larger bass greatly.
Hopefully yoy improves. Great news but we ain't out of the woods yet.

Yep, great news, but the ironic thing is nothing has been done to remediate the problems with the Susky and the J. The good fishing right now may lull everyone into believing all is well with the rivers. It could happen again if nothing is done to improve the water quality.

Spot on. I've already seen a small push to remove the no bass fishing during the spawn and the removal of C&R because the fishing is so good. I've also seen many young guys claim that nothing is wrong with the river because of the good fishing.

As Bob Clouser said to them, "you young guys just don't know what you don't know."

Hopefully something can be done before the next crash.

Back