Susquehanna in Early June

P

PSH

Hi, Anyone know how the smallmouth fishing is in early June on the Susquehanna? I was planning a trip to the North Branch in the first week of June. Is this a good time, or should I reschedule for a later date? Thanks

To be honest, early June has often treated me rough on bass rivers. It's certainly worth a try and river conditions can be pretty nice by June but this time frame usually falls over the post-spawn - a period often associated with tough bass fishing. By all means give it a try but in my experience big rivers fish much better in the July - Sept period for bass. I'm usually eager to bass fish by June and can't resist hitting the big rivers but the results are often humbling.....at least for me. If you don't do so hot on the North Branch in June, don't give up on this section of river. Try it again later in the summer and I'll bet you'll find the bass a lot "happier."

What FI said above. Early June is post-spawn for smallies and is often a tough time to fish. The other wild card is the river level which is usually still a little high in early June, especially if you plan to wade. Also, the water will be on the cool side in early June for SMB. When it warms they begin to slam everything/anything that moves on top!

I would make plans for later in the summer, if possible. If you are locked in to those days, never say never....you may hit 'em! Good luck.

Yup, early June is likely to be post spawn. The little ones might be biting. I would reshedule.

Thanks, guys. I am going to reschedule for late summer/early Fall.

Bah! It depends on where your going on the North Branch.... If you come up to Bradford County the NB suskie is gangbusters in early June. It's the hot crappy days in July that's not worth one coming up to fish. But I see you have already rescheduled. Nevermind.

Im with you jj i have had great times in june and earlier.

Back