Susquehanna bass trip

evofly

evofly

I am going with a few buddies to float the Susquehanna this weekend. I've never fished that river so was curious to know if there are any fly patterns that work better than others.

I plan on tying up a bunch of poppers, clouser, deceivers and half n' halfs. Not sure what else would be a good idea to bring along. I also have some EP baitfish I've tied along with some EP poppers and divers.

Just looking for any other suggestions.

Thanks

Cant hurt to tie some crayfish up in rust and olive. I dont fish it as much as other people on here so hopefully someone else will chime in

evofly wrote:
I plan on tying up a bunch of poppers, clouser, deceivers and half n' halfs. I also have some EP baitfish I've tied along with some EP poppers and divers.
Thanks

That should cover it.

You might add some big buggy nymphs and perhaps a crayfish pattern in heavier weights. Some basic white wulff style dries might prove useful too as the Susky has tremendous amounts of mayflies hatching off it this time of year. In my experience, the bass don't feed much on them, but sometimes they do, esp at dusk.

Thanks fellas. I never would have thought about dry flies for bass... I'll have to bring some along

Dave is spot on. I used to almost exclusively fish dries on the river. Toss big caddis, stimulators or poppers near the weed beds. You'll get a few takers. Before dark...here come the mayfly hatches. If you get a heavy hatch, everything will come up to feed...bass, carp and even catfish.

Truth. I caught a channel catfish on a white wulff last weekend. Freaking awesome.

clousers swimming nymph and clousers crawfish.

Wow... a catfish on a dry fly! Now that would be pretty cool.

Thanks Sandfly - I haven't tied or fished a clouser swimming nymph or crayfish yet. The swimming nymph I assume was designed to be swung on stripped? Really buggy looking pattern

Back