Susquehanna - Adult Bass Study for 2012

F

Fishidiot

PFBC Biologists conducted their annual survey of adult SMBs in the main stem of the Susky in Sept 2012.

The short version is that there was no significant change.
Adult bass catch rates remain below the historic average but the 2012 numbers are about typical for the period since about 2004 when the bass problems became more evident. Hopefully, these numbers aren't the new normal - will be interesting to see the YOY numbers as YOY numbers are usually good predictors of fishing 5+ years in the future.

Susky Bass 2012

When do the YOY reports come out? I actually got a few in the 10" range a few weeks ago above the Clark's ferry bridge near Duncannon. Nothing notable unfortunately

Odizz,
The surveys are conducted mid-year but the report may not be online for some time. Mike may give us the straight skinny before the official report is up.

Glad to see you're catching bass in that part of the river. A 10" smallie (if you're not already aware of this) is not a young of the year fish however but probably from the YOY class from 2009. River SMBs in PA are very slow growing fish and typically take about five years to reach a foot in length.

My wife and I spent a few hours today on the Susky on a pontoon boat out of Lake Clarke Marina in York County. We were fishing artificials (twisters and the like with spinning gear). I didn't feel comfortable trying to fish with a fly rod off of the boat with 6 of us on board. The water level was still high and very murky. Fishing was slow but we did manage to pick up a few smallies in the shaded areas (tight to the bank) on the York County side. These fish were in the 8-9" range and fought well and appeared to be very healthy. We also were catching some bluegills and redbreast sunnies. I did the best fishing a Clouser swimming nymph with a split shot on my spinning outfit, the closest thing to flyfishing that I could pull off for the day.

Back