Susky white flies?

P

purplewoolly

I know it’s a little early, but when do the white flies usually start in the York/Lancaster area?

They pop in August here on the Juniata. But there are always awesome hatches that have the bass looking up here. Dang near every evening from June through early October. No need for a mayfly or Caddis imitation either. A popper gets the job done.

August for the white flies but there are some big hexes coming off right now as well as sulphurs still. I see mayflies on my building at work every morning. I’m pretty close to the river.

I will agree with HopBack about the sulphurs. I see them nonstop out of the Juniata it seems. Or some but that looks like them at least. I'm not entomologist.

Same here on north branch plenty of sulphurs

Thank you. That gives a few weeks for the flow levels to become more favorable.

Saw the first trace of White Flies on the Susky North Branch last evening - 7/29. Nothing major but the smallies were eating them, caught 5 lost a couple including a dandy

I can't post the video but......saw a blizzard of them Monday evening. Guided Sunday and not one to be found. Just getting started I'd say.

Well, last night had virtually no white flies. Go figure. Conditions on the big river finally have become good after nearly 18 months of crap. Lots of Dobson flies so watch out for the flying dinosaurs

krayfish2 wrote:
Well, last night had virtually no white flies. Go figure. Conditions on the big river finally have become good after nearly 18 months of crap. Lots of Dobson flies so watch out for the flying dinosaurs

How's the ketching for SMB's been on the big river? Not anywhere near decent for many.

The only thing I can say is smallie fishing has been off everywhere from my fishing and from what I been seeing in reports. It's the conditions and not the river itself. Lower, clearer and more stable flows are needed for thing to turn on. Come on already!!!.....were due!!

Afish the last two nights have been pretty darn good for me on north branch. The white flies have showed up and the fish were all over them. Wednesday night the majority of the fish I caught were 10-12" but tonight that changed and some really nice heavy fish came to hand. The water is the clearest I've seen in a while not as clear as the juniata but pretty darn good compared to what we've had.

Well, the younger nephew has been doing well on the larger tribs. In 24 miles of drifting the river with me, I've seen the kid catch 3 fish. It's been horrendous IMHO. I was starting to think there was a kill or abnormal mortality due to prolonged high water. Yesterday, we did move more fish but still, very small numbers compared to the last 5-7 years. Untill...last 30 minutes before dark. Not many bugs and in an unexpected type of water....dorsal fins everywhere. Hooked 15-18 fish in 30 minutes. Just like that, they were gone again.

I'll be honest, haven't seen more than 3-4 fish caught by the 100+ jet boats out there. The fish are on structure...nope. The fish are near the islands...nope. Well, they are surely on the weedbeds....nope again. The fish we have found have been in dead water that's

We've got low, clear, and stable here on the J for a while and overall the fishing sucks. That's what I'm hearing from everyone..

40 muskie through July is pretty incredible anywhere no matter how you are fishing

40 musky this year is beyond incredible, wow!

krayfish2 wrote:
Well, the younger nephew has been doing well on the larger tribs. In 24 miles of drifting the river with me, I've seen the kid catch 3 fish. It's been horrendous IMHO. I was starting to think there was a kill or abnormal mortality due to prolonged high water. Yesterday, we did move more fish but still, very small numbers compared to the last 5-7 years. Untill...last 30 minutes before dark. Not many bugs and in an unexpected type of water....dorsal fins everywhere. Hooked 15-18 fish in 30 minutes. Just like that, they were gone again.

I'll be honest, haven't seen more than 3-4 fish caught by the 100+ jet boats out there. The fish are on structure...nope. The fish are near the islands...nope. Well, they are surely on the weedbeds....nope again. The fish we have found have been in dead water that's

White flies pouring off on the Conestoga last night but didn't see one riser. I quickly caught 4 on a crayfish pattern, including 1 fat 16 incher, and then later 1 on a white popper.

This was the first time this year the Conestoga fishable, flow at 330 cfs and good clarity. Of course that was short lived with all of the storms earlier in the day and it jumped over 600 cfs overnight.

It will be out of commission for a long while now, I guess I'll hope for another heat wave.

now moved to 766 in less than an hour :pint:

Another tough year for the river rats . When the water is high are the lakes on the Susky fishable ?

Holy smokes. Things are terrible for you Southeastern people. Juniata continues to drop..we will need one heck of a rain fall to bring it up substantially. Most rain would soak right into the ground. Just checked and the Juniata is only at 1,000 cfs. It is low and clear. In fact, I just tied some flies for the Jam because I want to get my boxes stuffed of the usual patterns I like. I think I'll walk down right now and see what happens...

Back