Susky Smallmouth trip

D

Daren

Hey all,
A buddy and i plan to hit the susky this weekend to try our hand at smallies. Having never been to the susky, nor fished for smallmouth i am hoping someone can point us in the right general direction. Not looking for anyones GPS coordinates, just maybe a town or road to point the truck towards. At this point we plan on somewhere between an hour south and an hour north of Harrisburg, that way we can hit up Bass Pro shop in the heat of the day and maybe stimulate the economy a bit :-D.
Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

THanks
Daren

I would go to the Fabridam in Shamokin Dam or Sunbury. I would start on the Shamokin Dam side. Walk out to the bags and fish below the dam. Start at the dam and work your way down to about 200 yards and then come back up and start over. (depending on the crowd)

When you get down to the slower water try a surface or floating minnow. Can have great top water action in the evening.

Stay till dark and see if the walleyes show up.

I have not fished there in several years but I grew up fishing that area.

The fabridam is a good place to fish does get some crowds though. You can drive 147 from halifax to sunbury and fish a number of spots on the river. I usually fish a few miles up from millersburg. The fishing has been tough with the excessive heat. The white fly is on now and should be heavy near sunbury soon. Also sneaky pete poppers, clouser crayfish, black wollybuggers, and like rick said closers floating minnow are great patterns 4 the river.

Thanks guys, looks like SHamokin will be a good place to start in the morning and we can work downstream. When you say "crowds" WHat do you mean? It cant be too bad, like an opening day on open trout water, or jsut a bunch of other fisherman within shouting distance?
Thanks for the help.

Back