Susky smallmouth spawn 2017

krayfish2

krayfish2

If I'm not mistaken, last year's spawn was pretty good. We also had what I'd consider very low / warm water conditions for that time of year. Water temps mid April through mid May were 60-66 and the flows averaged 30,000-ish.

The current flows are quite high and don't see them getting anywhere near the 2016 numbers anytime soon. Thoughts on how this could impact the spawn? Mike or fishtales feel free to add your educated opinions.

Will the fish hold off til later / better conditions happen? Will they spawn now in areas that may be dry 3 weeks later?

I don't think the current water levels should be a problem (yet).

High water impact on SMB spawning/recruitment tends, in my opinion, to be a factor during the spawn and the month or so following the spawn. In other words, mainly the period from about early May through June. Low flows during this period usually correlate with good YOY production, however, this was not really the case last year as we had low water but only average or fair YOY numbers.

(This thread will be moved to the WW forum shortly - thanks, DW)

Patience. Perch, walleye, muskellunge are spawning now. Shad and stripers are in the early stages of their spawning runs. SMB are not on the radar yet.

No but they will be in a month. The Juniata is dropping nicely and tomorrow evening I'm going to take the long and strenuous 2 minute walk to the river in search of a beauty.

Back