Susky smallies

wgmiller

wgmiller

I'm seeing all over the "Fishing the Susquehnna" Facebook page that Susky smallmouth action is heating up. 30, 40, 50 fish days are being reported. I was fishing Falmouth yesterday in search of esox and saw some spin guys upriver of me landing smallie after smallie.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FishtheSusque/

If you can make it out to the "big river", it appears as though now is a good time!

I'm fairly new to the smallmouth game and am surprised you can get out and catch them this early. Would you need sinking line to get them down deep or would they be in the shallower water?

I haven't fished the Susquehanna yet, but I may be moving to Lancaster soon and will be warmwater fishing a lot if I do end up there.

Beef,
This time of year (March to Mid April) is known in bass circles as the "pre-spawn." It is a prime time to catch big fish and, for me, the time of the year when I've caught the most big fish.

You don't need a sinking line, but it does help to fish in deeper sections close to the bottom until the water temp gets over 50 degrees (which I think has been surpassed in the Susky by now).

I usually lay off river bass around mid to late April, or until I see the first fish cutting redds.

Thanks, Dave. I should have taken the chance to fish the Susquehanna while I was in Lancaster in the beginning of the week. I guess I normally focus on trout until after the bass spawn and didn't realize you could target them earlier. I'm going to have to start fishing for pre-spawn bass, too!

For now, I'm in Pittsburgh. Wonder if I could get into them in the Allegheny this time of year.

Yes! You can certain get them there now.

BH I've seen people fly fishing right downtown at the point

I've been out on the river 3times at Middletown. Caught some nice bass on clousers and crayfish patterns. I had a 20in break me off at the boat! Ouch...

Friendly reminder that bass season on river is under special regs from May 1 - June 17. Illegal to target them from Sunbury to Conowingo (I believe).....the Juniata River and in the first mile of any feeders in that section of Susky / Juniata. If you catch one, lift it for a hero photo shot and WCO sees you, a ticket will be issued.

I've been having better success on the Susky in the past two years than I have in a long time. Its still not as good as it was a decade and a half ago. Friends and people I talk to on the river here on the York side have been saying the same thing.

Also I've caught a handful of walleyes lately too, which i good too. I used to catch them at around a 1: 4 ratio when smallie fishing well over 10 years ago. I went for a several year stretch without catching any walleye.

Hit it again for one final trip before bass season closes for a few weeks. Tons of guys out looking for that one last shot at some smallies. Fishwagen landed a few nice fish including a 5-6# channel cat. My youngest nephew dropped the hammer on us again by catching the most fish and the biggest fish. We saw caddis, steno,s, sulphurs, olives and lots of rising fish. One guy came up and asked if we could identify the type of trout he'd caught. His 'trout' was a 28" walleye!

Most of the larger bass we caught were already spawned out. Today yeilded more small fish and many fish with discoloration. Still looks like June should be good.

Good reminder Kray
I Was planning to fish the cacada hatch in WV early June,but that trip was cancelled yesterday.Think I'll stay over a few days and fish the Susky for SM from my toon

Back