Susky River flow and temp

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Great article about Susky River flow and temp and it's effect on the ecosystem and fish >

http://www.middlesusquehannariverkeeper.org/blog/low-flow-shifting-water-temps-are-impacting-watersheds-ecosystem?fbclid=IwAR0BEFPslWgvXEsfSAzN4RwIjamNG-Xzmi-b6oAymgzYvE_OAOTo7qJ1Qkk

Interesting article. As usual fish comm. biologist seems to find a "silver lining" in low flows. Their people never make a public statement that isn't rosy! I enjoyed reading the comments too. I had not thought much about water withdrawls from our streams. We can now add that to rampant development and climate change and pollution to the list of threats that have overwhelmed the river. Here is what one guy says about the fracking situation on the Loyalsock (trib to river),
"Corporate profits are the winner, and the health and balance of the creek's ecology has taken up residence on the bottom rung of the priority ladder."

By way of an independent third party scientifically and statistically examining PFBC fingerling SMB abundance data and USGS flow data it has been known for 20 or so yrs that low spring flows in the Susquehanna are beneficial for SMB reproduction and high flow events in spring are not.

Unfortunately, low flows and hot weather in late June and July produce warmer than normal water temps in the shallows that fingerlings occupy. Those conditions favor disease development in SMB fingerlings, possibly taking what could be an excellent year class down to the level of a poor year class through mortality, as was first seen in 2005. If temps aren’t too warm, then expanded shallows in low flow period equate to greater fingerling SMB habitat availability.

The comments are more telling than the article itself.

Not sure if anyone has been out there in the last month or so but I see 15-30 boats stacked up around ft hunter as I do every fall. Some are bass fishing and some are walleye guys. Steady/heavy pressure for weeks now. I'm assuming they are doing well or the crowds would have thinned by now. Gives me a glimmer of hope for next June.

Back