Susky North Branch SMB Survey

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Good news for Susky SMB on the North Branch. The River is fishing better than ever, better than back in the 90's, IMO. And the numbers bear that out. More big fish and maybe more fish overall. The piece mentions C&R (voluntary C&R by anglers) being a big factor. I agree. Back in the day nearly everyone hung a stringer and took 5 fish home. Now it's a rarity to have anyone kill smallies. Good stuff.

With the glow of city lights reflecting off the Susquehanna River, Rob Wnuk slowly guided his boat along the shore.

Two poles extended from the bow of the boat, each equipped with a series of electrodes sending a light shock into the water. Powered by a generator, the electrodes temporarily stunned any fish in their path, which were quickly scooped up to be weighed, measured and counted.

Wnuk, who is the fisheries manager for the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission’s Northeast Region, uses the method on the river to determine if the smallmouth bass population is increasing, decreasing or staying the same.

Last week in Kingston, the numbers proved that bass are faring well in that stretch of the river and other sampled areas.

After nearly four hours of netting and counting fish, Wnuk, PFBC biologist Aaron Frey and intern Peter Horger tallied 209 smallmouth bass, well above the long-term average (1990-2017) of 100.5 fish per hour. The bass ranged from 4 to nearly 16 inches.

Wnuk also sampled stretches of the river in Great Bend, Sayre, Tunkhannock, Harding and Berwick. The sampling is typically done in late June or July after the fish are done spawning. But over the last few years, Wnuk said, spawning has been occurring earlier so the bass survey was moved up by two weeks.

While Wnuk is more interested in the trend representing the total catch per hour than he is in overall numbers to determine how the population is faring, this year’s work has yielded some interesting results.

At Sayre, for example, Wnuk and his crew caught approximately 200 smallmouth per hour, which is on par with Kingston. And in Tunkhannock, things were even better with a catch rate of 330 smallmouth bass per hour, more than tripling the long-term average.

“At times we were to the point of being overwhelmed,” Wnuk said. “We were catching more bass than we could handle.”

Surveying is conducted in three 20-minute intervals. In between, Wnuk stops so fish can be counted and data collected. In addition to the 209 smallmouth bass caught in Kingston, Wnuk and his crew also captured 247 rock bass, 100 redbreast sunfish and several walleye.

Not every site yielded high numbers of smallmouth bass. In Berwick, the catch rate was near the 100 fish per hour average, Wnuk said, adding that lesser quality habitat is the issue. Still, the number of larger fish caught at Berwick was higher than average.

And that was the case overall this year.

“Smallmouth measuring 12 inches and over and those greater than 15 inches, the numbers are higher than they’ve ever been,” Wnuk said. “We’re getting higher numbers of big fish for this time of year.”

The catch-per-hour rate this year for smallmouth bass 12 inches and larger was nearly 12, higher than the average of five per hour. For bass 15 inches and larger, the catch-per-hour rate this year was just over four, continuing an upward trend.

Smallmouth bass that are 12 inches or larger are typically 4 years old, while those 15 inches and greater are 5 years of age.

“It’s been increasing every year,” Wnuk said of the larger fish. “I attribute it to an increase in catch-and-release angling. It’s very rare to see smallmouth bass on a stringer anymore.”

As far as unusual findings this year, one bass was found with sores and, in Kingston, another didn’t have pelvic fins.

Wnuk said the findings aren’t a concern considering the disease rate are far less than what it is in the central Susquehanna River.

“We’ve been lucky on the North Branch. We do see some disease here with the young of the year bass, but there’s no impact on the population because it’s well beyond carrying capacity,” Wnuk said.

One thing that has been noticeable with the annual surveys are significant swings in the catch rates of adult bass during certain years. Wnuk said the variations are due to year class strength – the number of bass produced in a given year.

This spring and early summer conditions haven’t been good for growth of young bass, and that’s something that could turn up in future surveys.

In fact, Wnuk already expects smallmouth reproduction to be poor this year.

“Reproduction is best when the water is high in April and low and warm in May and June,” he said. “This year it’s been all high, cold water. We could see the impact of that 2 to 4 years down the road.”

Link to source: https://www.timesleader.com/sports/665965/smallmouth-bass-thriving-in-susquehanna-river

Good stuff. Dear lord how I hold smallmouths in such high regard. My favorite game fish. Period.

So true that I'm sure this year was a lousy spawning year and we will notice it in a couple of years. Let's just hope this doesn't happen several years in a row..

The good news on the North Branch continues. These are just incredible numbers. Combine this with the great numbers and size of the SMBs that have returned to the main stem and lower Juniata... makes for some great bass fishing opportunities in central and eastern PA. Also good to note the numbers of rock bass and redbreast sunfish that showed up.

Agree that this year will probably not produce a great YOY due to the long term high and cold water. Muskie recruitment will probably be a wash in the North Branch this year as well (although we need more data on this issue).

On a bright note, the conditions were stable and I think this helps recruitment. It's when we see low, stable levels in springtime and suddenly get a big flood event in May or June is when we see failed SMB year classes (in my experience).

Anyway, the bass population news for the Susky watershed keeps getting better. With the end, let's hope, of the long period of high water we have experienced, the summer bass fishin season should be game on!

Just amazing.

I still think the C&R regs have in large part created this.I hope it never goes away.

I am happy to be close to this great resource. It's also a good musky & walleye and fantastic channel cat fishery.

There are not many places in North America where your can fish for a few hours and catch 50 smallies. We are truly spoiled to have this in our backyard.

Mwheaps32 wrote:
There are not many places in North America where your can fish for a few hours and catch 50 smallies. We are truly spoiled to have this in our backyard.

Pennsylvania in general is a pretty fantastic place. I LOVE THIS STATE!

jifigz wrote:
Mwheaps32 wrote:

Pennsylvania in general is a pretty fantastic place. I LOVE THIS STATE!

I think this state could be so much better HOWEVER...I live in an area that within an hour drive or less I can be catching 20"+ wild browns, native brook trout, 20"+ smallies, 50" musky, 25"+ walleye, I'm sure I'm missing a few species too. There aren't many places that you can be doing all of that. Are all those catches common? No, but they are there and I'm not too sure too many other places can claim all of that.

There are no C&R regs in the area that the writer describes. As Wnuk says, it is purely voluntary.

And working.

Smallmouth bass that are 12 inches or larger are typically 4 years old, while those 15 inches and greater are 5 years of age.

“It’s been increasing every year,” Wnuk said of the larger fish. “I attribute it to an increase in catch-and-release angling. It’s very rare to see smallmouth bass on a stringer anymore.”

However,fish swim and the C&R regs in the lower river, I'm sure also help recruitment in the north branch. These fish just don't stay at the bridges.

Seems to me that C&R has worked in A LOT of places in PA for better fisheries management. Even when anglers take it upon themselves without PFBC regs. I know it grinds your gears but it's hard to deny but with a will im sure you will find a way.

This is so easy. C&R regs implemented a few years ago in the lower and middle Susquehanna had nothing to do with the North Branch's trend of improving twelve inch, fifteen inch, and longer SMB. That trend started in 1996.

Except you just had a fisheries biologist from your own agency SAY C&R HAS IMPROVED the fishery size recruitment.
:lol:
Wether or not the lower end has helped it or i mis spoke is really irrelevant.
Voluntarily or Not C&R works. You should be advocating for it not against it.

I agree with post #9. We do have it good.

Perhaps more C&R in the state would be a step towards making it better.
:lol:

See first sentence of post #9.

Back