Susky Help

hooker-of-men

hooker-of-men

Hi All,

Meeting a friend tomorrow morning to fish the Susquehanna around Scranton and get rained for a couple days while camping in a hurricane. We're obviously pretty concerned about water levels (before the deluge) and neither of us know the river well.

We'll be in a skiff with good shallow water clearance, but... we don't have a rowing setup. We'll be relying on a trolling motor and, hopefully, some degree of a channel.

Could those more knowledgeable of the river recommend any sections in this area to focus on (I see huge variations in depth from USGS gauges)? Any advice is appreciated.

Well, I can tell you the section I know (Laceyville through Falls) is quite low. It's 6" lower than the last time I fished it and my canoe was scraping bottom a fair amount. There are many gravel bars and long, deep pools. I recommend you pick your line carefully and make a push pole to help in the shallow sections. You may need to get out and push. I know I have to do that a fair amount when I'm in my buddy's raft that drafts 4".

Downstream of Falls may be deeper or have a more consistent channel, but I don't know for sure.

I've never fished the Susky up there but if it is anything like the Juniata then a canoe, kayak, or jetboat is the ticket. I've never seen anyome using a skiff.

But we aren't supposed to get a deluge. Only 1/4 - 1/2 an inch. The weathermen aren't always right, but we aren't predicted to get much rain.

Happy to help! The river could use some water. It's pretty low. If you focus on turbulent water and mid river rocks below same, you should have more success.

Deeper dive: Expect the river to be off color and on the rise. There was some heavy rain along and north of US 17 in NY. The Chemung River is a major, muddy trib. Follow the North Branch of the Susky up to Waverly, NY to see where this dumps in. Then follow the North branch through Binghamton and Great Bend. I mention this because the river near Scranton usually crests a few days after big rains. The Towanda gauge is flat but the Chemung and NB gauges near Sayer, PA/ Waverley, NY are on the rise.

We got a 1/4" to a 1/2" of rain. That soaked right in to the ground. The exception is the Lackawanna River due to the urban corridor from Carbondale to Old Forge. There is far less percolating going on there due to all the paved surfaces. So, you may see a bump at the Wilkes Barre gauge, but not much.

Binghamton got 2"+. That should be a bit more impactful by Saturday, but not much earlier.

Gauges of interest upstream of Old Forge:

N. Branch near Waverly

Chemung R. at Chemung

N. Branch at Meshoppen

PM me for more specifics if you like.

Fly-Swatter wrote:
Happy to help! The river could use some water. It's pretty low. If you focus on turbulent water and mid river rocks below same, you should have more success.

Deeper dive: Expect the river to be off color and on the rise. There was some heavy rain along and north of US 17 in NY. The Chemung River is a major, muddy trib. Follow the North Branch of the Susky up to Waverly, NY to see where this dumps in. Then follow the North branch through Binghamton and Great Bend. I mention this because the river near Scranton usually crests a few days after big rains. The Towanda gauge is flat but the Chemung and NB gauges near Sayer, PA/ Waverley, NY are on the rise.

We got a 1/4" to a 1/2" of rain. That soaked right in to the ground. The exception is the Lackawanna River due to the urban corridor from Carbondale to Old Forge. There is far less percolating going on there due to all the paved surfaces. So, you may see a bump at the Wilkes Barre gauge, but not much.

Binghamton got 2"+. That should be a bit more impactful by Saturday, but not much earlier.

Gauges of interest upstream of Old Forge:

N. Branch near Waverly

Chemung R. at Chemung

N. Branch at Meshoppen

PM me for more specifics if you like.

Good info by F-S above

I would guess the River levels will be still low but beginning to rise into Saturday. I would also guess the rain will color up the water too. Saturday's forecast is for pretty heavy rain.

When you float you will need to control the boat in shallow and rocky areas where using a trolling motor is not possible. Hopefully you will have paddles with you for this purpose.

Good luck on your float and post a report.

Back