Susky Fly Rod and Reel Advise?

B

blhorick

I just received a couple of gift certificates from Cabelas for Christmas and am interested in getting an outfit for the Susquehanna River. I have fished the susky before using a 9' 7wt but it does not seem to be productive. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a combo that would better suit casting large streamers for the river. I was thinking a smaller rod with a stiffer butt, but I am having trouble locating one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A decent 9' 7wt rod should be ideal for the Susky. I sometimes use an 8wt too. "Decent" is the key word in the sentence above, and Cabelas should carry them. For SMB, I recommend a fast to mod. fast rod with a beefy butt.

afishinado wrote:
A decent 9' 7wt rod should be ideal for the Susky. I sometimes use an 8wt too. "Decent" is the key word in the sentence above, and Cabelas should carry them. For SMB, I recommend a fast to mod. fast rod with a beefy butt.

+1

Casting stroke, type of fly line for the type of fishing that you want to do and leader construction for the fly that you are using is more important than rod choice. In the "off season" practice your casting and do some research on the best tactics in the areas that you have access to or want to fish.
Then use your gift certificates to buy the necessary gear (sink tip line, full sinking line, heavy weight forward floater, sinking leaders, heavy mono or fluorocarbon etc.)

of course, if this keeps up it will all be irrelevant.

http://www.smallmouths.com/smallmouth-forum/showthread.php?t=2398

oh yeah, I forgot,

a 9 foot 8wt if the water is above 4.5 feet on the harrisburg gauge and a 6 or 7wt if it's below 4.5.

9' 6wt for the tribs.

Another thing to consider is where you're going to be fishing from. A boat? Wading? Close to shore? I would submit that if you're going to do be doing a good bit of wading, perhaps a two-handed rod such as a switch rod might do you good. You could certainly cover a bit more water. Just a thought.

And those fish pictures...wow. That's just plain sad. Clearly there is something going on and it doesn't bode well for the fishery. For that matter, it doesn't bode well for anything related to the Susquehanna!

Thanks for the info guys. I plan on using the fly rod while wading. I currently use 9'6" 7wt or an 8'6" 6wt. I struggle casting heavy flies. As someone mentioned I need a lot of practice. I just started getting into fly fishing on the river last summer and the long casts provide a great challenge. The line I use is floating line because I've been too cheap to get sinking line and a new spool. So I'm thinking of just getting some new line along with a new reel or a spare spool.

Anyone ever had any success nymphing any riffles on the river?

blhorick wrote:
Anyone ever had any success nymphing any riffles on the river?

Absolutely! I fish nymphs for river smallies pretty much the same way I fish nymphs for trout (high sticking). I do tend to use bigger nymphs for bass. I'd suggest that nymphing riffles for SMBs is mainly a summer game - best results for me have been late June to late Sept.

The spring of last year I picked up a new bass setup and it was the best investment i've made in awhile. I picked up a 9" 8wt TFO BVK and a Lamson KONIC reel with Clouser cold water line and happiness was born. This setup is amazing!

Casting the heavy, bulky flies can be a challenge, even for the best casters. The nature of trying to hurl a fly like that through the air defies the laws of physics. Mix in some wind and it can be really tough.

Fortunately, most times on the Susky you don't need lengthy casts. A 10-20' cast will get you into fish many times as the fish aren't as far away as you think. When you need the longer casts is when the water clears up and/or gets low. That's when the fish get spooky and keeping your shadow away is imperative.

As far as a sinking line, it can't hurt you, but don't think it's absolutely necessary. A plain ol' floating line with 9' leader will work fine for most of the fishing. If you're trying to get to bottom by nymphing or workings streamers, then yes, by all means getting the fly down quickly would be aided by some type of sinking line/sink tip.

The 9'6" 7wt you have should work fine for the river. For the bass, walleye, etc., it has enough backbone. If you want to go after carp and catfish, then perhaps you might want something more stout as they take you deep and test your tackle.

The best thing you can do is just get out on the river and spend time fishing. Cast away and keep your line in the water. You'll find out what works and what doesn't. If you're really serious about fishing the river, pick up Bob Clouser's book "Flyfishing for Smallmouth". It's a great resource written by someone that knows that river like the back of his hand.

Back