Survey Question

Co-sign ADucker's list.

PPack flyer wrote:

What's the statistics of where the newbies are coming from, that have attended the event in Allen Town?

I would guess that the Newbie events held in Allentown are 60%-ish attended by people within 60 miles of Philly. Just a guess but it is largely Eastern Pa gents. Fall '12 we put together a nice meet up in VC and the Vets took us novices out for a bunch of hrs fishing and then we hit up lunch. I would be up to organizing something with you if you're interested.

The newbie jam in'12 was great and unfortunately I missed out in '13 ... hope to make it this year. This is usually held on a Saturday instead of Sunday, right?

Stagger - That sounds great! I was thinking of doing two different events - a youth oriented program (age 10 - 18) and one for adults (18 and older). I see so many youths at Pennypack Park that could benefit from obtaining some flyfishing skills. I would much rather see them with flyrods than a can a beer in their hand.

pennypack if you need help and I am open for whatever you are planning I can give you a hand.

Thanks Marcq -

I'm going to look into coordinating something through the Philly Park System during the month of March.

I will also look forward to attending the newbie Jam in Allen Town this year as well.

I think the best thing for this site would be some kind of pattern database to keep track of all the great patterns I've seen on here. Maybe you could add it to the entomology forum or with the hatch chart? Unless you remember the post it can be hard to find again with the search function.

For all the newbies who cannot attend the newbie jam I think you'll find plenty of takers on this site to meet you for a few hours of fishing and/or instruction any time throughout the year. This has been done lots of times and friendships are formed in the process. This is by far the best site out there and you will find the information free flowing.

PPackflyer wrote

Stagger - That sounds great! I was thinking of doing two different events - a youth oriented program (age 10 - 18) and one for adults (18 and older). I see so many youths at Pennypack Park that could benefit from obtaining some flyfishing skills. I would much rather see them with flyrods than a can a beer in their hand.

I would help out with either if u eva decide .... just give me a heads up and enough notice

For me, in SWPA and as a newbie to fly fishing, my primary reason for visiting the forum in the first place was to learn about new places to fish.

It seems that in the central and eastern portions of the state, there are a lot more places to fish, but as summer and warm water starts moving in and the locations to fish for trout start moving out, the options on places to trout start dwindling in the western part of the state.

Things I'd liked to have seen more of last year include more/better information on streams between the Laurel Highlands and the Ohio state line, as this seems to be pretty much the driving limits for those of us living in and around the Pittsburgh area and wishing to keep the fishing close to home. More/better information on locations within this region would have been especially useful and interesting to me.

Something else that would be helpful, although I'm not sure on the logistics or legal aspects, would be a section of videos similar to the Orvis 'How to Fly Fish' videos by Tom Rosenbauer on the Orvis web site. I already knew about these, so I knew where to find them, but other novices might not know about them.

Back