Surf guidance

P

purplewoolly

I have fished for stripers on the Susquehanna Flats but never in the surf. I plan on going to NJ sometime in the next few weeks. From what I can find sand eel patterns would probably be appropriate then. I have a 9 wt. and I have floating, intermediate and a full 300 grain sinking line (but only 2 spools). Which of those lines should I use? Any other bits of advice would be appreciated.

purplewoolly wrote:
I have fished for stripers on the Susquehanna Flats but never in the surf. I plan on going to NJ sometime in the next few weeks. From what I can find sand eel patterns would probably be appropriate then. I have a 9 wt. and I have floating, intermediate and a full 300 grain sinking line (but only 2 spools). Which of those lines should I use? Any other bits of advice would be appreciated.

Your 9wt is just fine. A floating line has limited use in the surf. You will find it easier using an intermediate line that cuts through the wave action. You can still fish top water flies during a blitz using intermediate line and a longer tapered leader. I would recommend spooling up your intermediate line and sinking line. Depending on the currents and depth, you can choose to use either line.

Right now most of the bait found is bunker but things change with the season. I suggest you check reports. I would have some deceivers in different colors as well as clousers, half and half flies and sand eel flies. It is likely that the prevalent bait in a couple of weeks will be sand eels.

Check the reports...good luck...post a report.

The week before Thanksgiving and the two weeks thereafter are usually the most reliable. Hoe soon that period begins seems to be dependent on water temps, however. People have good days prior to that, but I am speaking about reliability here.

As for flies, the primary forage fish at that time is the sea lance, commonly called sand eel. Google it to see a pic; that may be helpful. Bunker and mullet should be gone by then, but stripers are opportunistic predators, so fish-like patterns as well as eel-like patterns should be effective if stripers are in the area. For a fly angler without a boat or yak, finding spots where they are more likely to come close to shore on the right tide and right wind direction/force is key.

I also recommend that if you can, take a spinning rod. If the stripers are blitzing just out of fly range, you'll be kicking yourself. If you must have a fly, then even in that circumstance you can tie in a fly as a teaser above the lure.

There's a good and fresh thread in Tips and Tricks on this topic that is worth checking out:

Surf Fishing

I'd add a brief comment on safety. Much of the surf game in New Jersey and states northward, involves rock jetties and rocky shorelines. Be careful on them. I highly recommend that you not walk unto jetties or rocks near the surf that have a wet surface without cleated insoles. These wet rocks are slimy and extremely slick.

Thanks for the insights. I'm looking at 12/3 or 4, just a day trip. Probably IBSP. I'll let you know how it goes.

I would check reports on this section, http://www.onthewater.com/regions/northern-new-jersey/

I check this site and others, but I've been seeing pics/reports with a good amount of people on the beach. good luck!

Purplewooly I'll be in the Trenton/Princeton area on black friday. I might be able to get out for a morning explore if you're interested/able to get out.
That option could be open for anybody who would want to explore the area of IBSP. It would be a first for me...

Slay,
Doesn't work for me this weekend. They have been crushing them the past few days at IBSP and surrounding beaches. Video on Betty & Nicks site shows them catching fish literally on the beach, ankle deep. Go get them if you can.

I've been seeing similar reports of big bass. Once my new line arrives I'm headed down.

IMG_0102_zpse7mdxubl.jpg

Bass from today in the Rockaway Beach area, NY, surf fishing. Took a surf candy. Saw a few others caught today, but I was only fly fisherman on the beach.

Nice fish elonDo.

GenCon

Back