Surf Fishing

Stogie26

Stogie26

I'm looking to get into surf fishing with spoons and lures. Any suggestions as to rod length and weight and line weight. I would be targeting fish like flounder, spanish mackerel, bluefish, etc.

The warm and salt water forum would be a better fit for this. I will wait at least 24 hours before moving it there. Thanks for the post.

A good first set up would be a spin rod in the 7' length range with a large capacity reel filled with 17-20lb mono. I tend to like a "medium" action but this is hard to describe. Go to a store and wiggle a few spin rods to get a feel for stiffness etc.
This outfit is light enough to allow you to cast 1 ounce lures in Sept for flounder and smaller blues but still heavy enough to allow you to pitch bigger metal and plugs in the late autumn season when blues and bass tend to run larger. Generally, I think, it is better to be over-gunned than under-gunned and surf fish usually aren't line shy. Stick with 17-20lb line.

Agree that Stripersonline is an excellent source.

Many guys I talk to suffer from saltwaterflyfishingaphobia (fear of FFing in SW).

Most FFers that have fished a while have an 8wt rod outfit, which will work okay in the salt. The one thing that's really a must, is to have a decent reel with a sealed drag. Saltwater infiltrating into the drag system will ruin a reel in short order. Add a stripping basket and a hand full of deceivers, clousers and sand eel files and your ready to go.

I know, casting in the wind can be a pain, but surf fishing with a fly rod is one of the most fun things you can do in the sport. I guarantee, after a trip or two your overall casting and line handling will improve, which will help you with all your fishing.

Since you're from the Burgh, surf fishing will be a long trip. Consider packing a fly rod. Even a smaller blue or striper on the end your line will blow away any of the skinny colored fish you've caught.

Give it a try.

You will need a 9' Medium Heavy rod with the fastest action you can find reasonably priced. Get a reel that will accommodate a superline like Powerpro. Use a 30-50# superline (will be around 17lb test mono diameter). The rod needs to be rated for at least 4oz, and probably best if up to 6oz, especially if you're going to use bait. Any shorter of a rod is going to leave you well inside the sandbar with your casts, and if you use mono line, you'll be cutting at least 30-40ft off the casts as well. Just like with a fly rod in the surf, the further you can cast, the more water you can cover, and the longer your lure/fly is in the water. Thus, more time in the water will generally mean more opportunity for a fish to strike. You will find yourself often in the position of "waiting for the fish to come in."

Back