Surf fishing OBX or similar

Strong currents, waders/boots filling with water, bad luck, whatever. Same thing unfortunately also happened a few times in Jamaica Bay (where I had a boat) some years back. Steep drop offs are bad news.

Is it true that waders can fill with water and drown someone? I always thought that was a load of crap. Also, why are people wearing waders in these types of fisheries in the first place? Is the water cold? I do not subscribe to the wading belt crowd, that's for sure. I don't believe a belt would prevent one's waders from getting filled.

Is it true that waders can fill with water and drown someone? I always thought that was a load of crap. Also, why are people wearing waders in these types of fisheries in the first place? Is the water cold? I do not subscribe to the wading belt crowd, that's for sure. I don't believe a belt would prevent one's waders from getting filled.
I’m down here right now and the water in the sound is between 85 and 90 degrees. I asked one of the local old timers why they wear breathable waders in the summer and he said it’s for protection from jelly fish. They also put their fish on a 10’ stringer and tie it to there waist with a bait bucket. I’ve been tearing up the reds from 22 to 30 inches. Landed 20 in two mornings of fishing with 6 weight and intermediate line. Size 4 and 2 chartreuse and white clousers. Also caught some nice flounder, croaker, and trout. Very easy wading at the prop slough at the end of the oregan inlet fishing center. The green slough on the south side is where it can get dangerous due to steep drop offs and fast current.

A belt would do exactly that. Keep you afloat and prevent you from filling up. Wading belts are literal life savers. With that said I have worn them at the beach. If I were there between Oct/Nov and June I would consider it.

water doesn't weight more inside than outside the waders... they don't add weight, the belt may keep your pants dry, if the water doesn't go your pants.

the only concern might be if your waders somehow got snagged with your waders on something underneath the water.

The boots are more likely to make you sink than the waders IMO, because they are heavier on their own than water, plus they make it hard to swim.

That being said, you might still be able to float on your back, and backstroke back to shore.

When swept away by water people try and swim back to where they fell in or back to shore not realizing that they’re fighting the water. They soon become exhausted, panic and drown.

You’re more likely to survive if look for spot ahead of you in direction your drifting. Swim at angle going with current that takes you to the spot.

Actually a wader belt might make it worse, because the air will get trapped in your pants and push your feet to the top, see above demonstration.

I'd say the boots if you have them, are still an issue potentially...

If one swims that poorly , maybe they should stay on the land. As a former WSI, someone who trains lifeguards i'm telling you wading belts should be worn for safety. This is nothing new. I won't waste your time by cherry picking you tube videos to prove it.

How? Can't you just swim back onto water that is shallow enough to stand in? Just curious how people are killed by this occurrence. Strong currents and/or undercurrents?

The biggest issue with those areas is when the tide is changing, particularly on an outgoing tide. If you're adrift in the Oregon Inlet channel you'll get sucked out to see on an outgoing tide. I don't aggressively wade in the salt, mostly because I'm usually fishing by myself. I keep solid footing and pay attention to the tide charts. It's possible to swim back to shore if you get jammed up, but conflicting currents can make for a rough go of it.

I agree wholeheartedly with wading belts when using waders. When I fish the salt I wear swim trunks and flats boots.

If one swims that poorly , maybe they should stay on the land. As a former WSI, someone who trains lifeguards i'm telling you wading belts should be worn for safety. This is nothing new. I won't waste your time by cherry picking you tube videos to prove it.
how are wading belts more safe? I wear one mostly to keep my waders tidy, but I've never actually found a benefit where I would use waders, shallow water, knee deep or less.

I think down at oregon inlet wearing a PFD is more appropriate than a belt... in the summer I would opt for wet wading pants, w/ PFD near that inlet area. I use a "fishing" PFD.

That being said I kayak fish weekly and always wear a PFD, even though it's only required to be on the boat. I have a diver's knife on my shoulder and a second knife on my hip. Any time there are fishing lines, and boats involved it's a good idea to be able to cut them if the need arises.

Last edited:
how are wading belts more safe? I wear one mostly to keep my waders tidy, but I've never actually found a benefit where I would use waders, shallow water, knee deep or less.

I think down at oregon inlet wearing a PFD is more appropriate than a belt... in the summer I would opt for wet wading pants, w/ PFD near that inlet area. I use a "fishing" PFD.

That being said I kayak fish weekly and always wear a PFD, even though it's only required to be on the boat. I have a diver's knife on my shoulder and a second knife on my hip. Any time there are fishing lines, and boats involved it's a good idea to be able to cut them if the need arises.
Why would wearing a belt prohibit you from wearing a PFD. Those CO2 PFDs are great and barely noticeable. Another benefit of the belt keeping your bottom half dry is hypothermia. You lose heat the fastest from you head. Keeping that groin dry below 70 degree water will keep you alive longer too. Speaking of which, I assume you only kayak in warm weather.

I also wear a PFD when I kayak fish. I just leave it on when l stake out and wade. It acts as a fishing vest for small stuff while giving safety. I had to do so swimming in current with a life vest and wading boots and it was very tricky and tiring trying to swim with boots.

How? Can't you just swim back onto water that is shallow enough to stand in? Just curious how people are killed by this occurrence. Strong currents and/or undercurrents?
If you think you can outswim the water, you can't. You will lose and you might die. Even in a lake. Near me is a lake could probably walk across and never get your hair wet. Except for an 8ft wild channel that is the original creek bed. It's about 10 feet deep. You can't see it. It flows at the speed of any other creek. If you get caught in it you better know what to do. Swimming BACK is never what you do. You go with the water until the pull weakens and the you go sideways and across
In a rip, in a river, in a lake, in a channel, everywhere. These are facts and they could save your life.

Dear Silent Ocelot,

The density of water inside waders is exactly the same as the density of water outside waders. All things being equal, and so long as you are not overcome with panic or fear waders cannot cause a drowning by dragging you under.

However, the big if is that if you decide to struggle against the water wearing waders you can quickly tire out because they absolutely suck as swimming gear.

Fifty plus years ago in Junior High swim class we went into the water fully clothed in sweatshirts and jeans and Chuck Taylors and no one flailed to make floatation devices out of their soggy clothes. Everyone who went in came out without a struggle. But no one is physically strong enough to fight water and win. However, with some sense you can deal with water and float and survive for a long time, especially when its temperature is 80 degrees plus.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Back