Surf Fishing for Stripers

Something that I’ve seen on Facebook and think is probably the best thing I’ve heard yet on options for where the striped bass fisheries should go. Hope it’s ok me copy and pasting this.

“Comments & Letter being submitted to NJ marine fisheries council as per last nights meeting

My Name is Capt. Paul Eidman
I run a fly & light tackle fishing charter boat called Reel Therapy in Northern NJ. We fish in and around the Sandy Hook/ Raritan Bay area specializing in catching striped bass and other gamefish. There is ZERO harvest for striped bass onboard my charter boat since the species has been declared OVERFISHED beginning of 2019.
I feel that the state of New Jersey should amplify the ASMFC ruling that the Striped Bass stock has the red flag flying and that striped bass are currently overfished and that overfishing is occurring. The new regulations should remain in place until the stocks are rebuilt.

While some of these measures below may not qualify for the ASMFC’s mandated "conservation equivalency" measures, they would be good for NJDEP to implement since a few other states have already set them in motion.

Achieving coastwide uniformity: Same as the other states: 1 Bass per angler, per day from 28"-35" for two years, to be revised as per stock assessment

Hudson/Raritan striper breeding stock conservation initiative:
Cath & release fishery- with a delayed opening in Raritan Bay and mouth of the Hudson coastal waters until a tentative date of May 15. Mandatory Non-offset circle hooks (NO J hooks) are to be required when using natural bait of all kinds.

Bonus fish tag program:
Keep the existing program in place with the 24"-28" bass size limit but improve the angler data collection. It’s very important that we retain this program so that this poundage allocation is not given to other states for commercial fisheries to harvest.
Given the current effectiveness of new trolling methods and its relentless slaughtering of cow bass, I would like to see the state consider a “Trophy tag” for folks to utilize for bass over 45” instead of having to discard a badly injured fish or have a desire to retain a fish of a lifetime for personal reasons. These tags could be part of the bonus tag allocation and would help to fulfill the state’s conservation equivalency requirement.

Hot water/Hot air closure conservation initiative;
All state waters closed, and measure implemented to reduce mortality from tentative dates of July 1 thru August 25th

Charter/party boat operator voluntary conservation initiative
Captains agree to only take fish per the actual anglers onboard. No, add on fish to be taken for Captain or mates.

NJDEP state budget
More funding is needed for marine enforcement enhancement to offset this regulation change and projected increase in poaching.

Angler Involvement in data collection:
I would like to see an NJ fish & game phone app and or an old school reporting requirement for all state anglers to participate in data collection for all gamefish. Better data is key to better management.

Striped Bass handling for release education:
Correct catch and release handling procedure angler education programs north, central and south NJ locations live and virtually as a webinar so folks can view at home.

Personally speaking, I have to add that NONE of the options that the ASMFC has offered appeal to me and I for one feel that the continued emphasis on maximum sustainable yield, catch limits and size decisions should be thrown out the window as soon as the technical committee declares that a stock is experiencing overfishing and is failing to replenish itself.

The ASMFC should be progressive enough to shift gears and get more aggressive since they are the ones in charge of managing the stock for sustainability. Offering the recreational angling community options that have a 50% or less projected success rate is pathetic.
Since they have failed to do this, the NJ marine fisheries council should be advising anglers to go easy on the stripers and pick a sustainable fish (like Black Sea Bass) for the table until striper stock recovery. I would be in favor of easing up BSB regulations to help protect the striped bass stocks further.
Since we are forced to stay on the menu, if New Jersey doesn't adopt the coastwide slot, it significantly impacts the plan's chances of success.
Now that we have a coastwide slot, even if many of us didn't care for it, the most important thing is maintaining, to the greatest extent possible, coastwide rules, in order to maximize the effectiveness of the slot. Otherwise, we end up in a situation where the greatest benefit of the slot--protecting the older fish--will be frustrated if some states allow fish over 35" to be retained.
Given the importance of the 2011- and 2015-year class fish to the fishery it’s important that we all become better stewards of the fishery, respect the stock until they get a chance to spawn at least once and the stock recovers to abundance.”

The commercial fishing fleet for striped bass is small. I believe those numbers are accurate. Striped bass is a recreational game and that’s definitely who puts the most damaging on the population. Weather it’s new method like trolling mojos and spoons that are putting a hurt on the fish or the countless party boats jigging their limit of bass. It’s definitely the recreational anglers fault. Last time out on a boat there is a fleet. I mean like 500 boats from Belmar to sandy hook. Same thing goes for New York and Massachusetts too. I might be wrong on this but I’m pretty sure Massachusetts, Virginia Maryland are the only states who have a commercial season and I think it’s pretty short in the southern states.

On a side note. Sandy hook has been blowing up the past few day with bass on peanut bunker. Sand eels have made a showing to on some local beaches. Pretty much all the way down to island beach state park. I had a good day in spring lake this past Monday before the storm came in. Not much in size but fish 30 inches and below.
This weekend looks like Friday is your best bet winds with be high any other day.

It's not the "commercial fishing fleet for striped bass." It's the commercial fishing fleet in its entirety. It's bycatch. It's largely an honor system of voluntary reporting meaning the bycatch numbers reported are a sham.

Marc, i heard the same thing about up north this week...my buddy was telling me i said so yeah when are we going, lol

I don't think anyone is proposing stopping commercial fishing for all species because stripers are caught and killed unintentionally.

The catching and killing for recreational fishing is controllable. We all should do what we can to limit the killing of stripers, especially the larger fish (cows) and especially in the vulnerable areas where they spawn.

Correct Afish. They are proposing to close stripers to recreational fishing when better monitoring and enforcement on the commercial fleet is in order. Way easier to close it to recreation then figure out how to develop a real cure for the problem. They have the added bonus of Saying how hard they worked and how they tried to save the striped bass when it's to late.

Personally, I don't keep stripers out of the river and I dont know any river striper fisherman who do. I don't even take pictures of them unless they are over 48" and I haven't caught one over 48" yet. Yes they are kept by some but I don't think it's a majority of anglers. This is why they come up with the catch and release, or catch captivate and later release as I like to call it, mortality model for blaming recreational fisherman.

FYI this Fall season has so far been large stripers, an unusually large amount it seems, in the 50 pound plus class off shore being caught by boats and shorts and an occasional keeper from the beach. This is a pattern that has occurred too often recently from a surf fishermens viewpoint.

An indication of how much sport fishing pressure and how effective that pressure can be on the striped bass population: 16-18 percent of the striped bass tagged each May by the PFBC in the Delaware Estuary are returned by anglers by December of the same year and those returns are not primarily from Pa. The state by state breakdown appears in the Area 6 PFBC biologist reports on the Delaware Estuary striper surveys. Often tags are not seen by anglers or are never returned; therefore, this is a very conservative indicator of angling effectiveness for stripers in the rivers, bays, canals, and ocean despite the vastness of these combined waters. I don’t question for a moment that anglers are more effective than the commercials despite the commercial by-catch. Remember, there is plenty of angler by-catch of stripers as well.

Mike wrote:
An indication of how much sport fishing pressure and how effective that pressure can be on the striped bass population: 16-18 percent of the striped bass tagged each May by the PFBC in the Delaware Estuary are returned by anglers by December of the same year and those returns are not primarily from Pa. The state by state breakdown appears in the Area 6 PFBC biologist reports on the Delaware Estuary striper surveys. Often tags are not seen by anglers or are never returned; therefore, this is a very conservative indicator of angling effectiveness for stripers in the rivers, bays, canals, and ocean despite the vastness of these combined waters. I don’t question for a moment that anglers are more effective than the commercials despite the commercial by-catch. Remember, there is plenty of angler by-catch of stripers as well.

Bingo. Recreational anglers do have a huge impact. I don't think many dudes dropping money on an open boat will release a 48 incher without being told to do so. Recreational captains want meat on the decks for photos too. It is easier to change the regs than the culture, and I would sure like to see keeper size fish in the surf again (that I will release), so I support the changes. There were some rough times only a couple decades ago, and it is rough for surfcasters now, enough to make a guy take up fly fishing for trout. It will be interesting to see how VA and MD regs change.

Back