Sunglasses

W

Wharfrat

Looking for some ideas on sunglasses . I have a cheap $20 pair that just does not work well in certain lighting conditions. I have been having a rough time trying to see small dries .

I would like to know what has worked well for you and what is the best but for the least amount of $ ?

I wear RX lenses and make sure when I get new glasses they come with gray Polarized clips. That's what I wear fishing and they seem to work well. Make sure your lenses are Polarized.

I've been really happy with suncloud. They're made by Smith and use Smith lenses. Not sure if they make yellow lenses however if you're looking for low-light polarized.

While practicing double hauling with my 8 weight I took a big clouser minnow directly to the lens. Hit so hard it hurt the bridge of my nose, but the lenses didn't even get scratched.

I love Kaenon but they are expensive Italian glasses. You can buy them on ebay, especially the previous years models. The Kaenon Klemms are very nice glasses that you can get for under $100. The polarization is amazingly good. I have been standing side by side with other fisherman using "polarized" glasses and they could not see the fish I could. I let them borrow the glasses and they were amazed.

jdaddy wrote:
I love Kaenon but they are expensive Italian glasses. You can buy them on ebay, especially the previous years models. The Kaenon Klemms are very nice glasses that you can get for under $100. The polarization is amazingly good. I have been standing side by side with other fisherman using "polarized" glasses and they could not see the fish I could. I let them borrow the glasses and they were amazed.

Kaenons are #1 in my book.I've had costa del mars , and others ,but the Kaenons cut the glare better than others i"ve tried.Son swears by Oaklies .

Find something you can live with cheap and put all your change in the jar and save up for a pair of Oakleys. They have a polarized section just for fishing.

If you can, wait till the off season when gear goes on sale. I pick up a 2 pair of Smith Optics Lochsa bifocal sunglasses (1 copper & 1 brown lenses) from Madison River Fishing Co. at half off regular price. I've tried the cheap route but I'm far more satisfied with a high quality product.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I wear RX lenses and make sure when I get new glasses they come with gray Polarized clips. That's what I wear fishing and they seem to work well. Make sure your lenses are Polarized.

Same thing, I refuse to put on BluBlockers over my prescription glasses, and without those I can't actually see the fly on the water.

A pair of Cocoons brand clip-ons were like $30, and worth every penny.

FWIW, brown is supposed to be better against glare than grey, yellow may or may not help in lower light. Yellow cuts the blue waves back, but does also cuts light transferrance, a double edged sword when the sun goes down and it gets darker.

I like gray for all around use but would'nt complain about brown. Like you I can't stand trying to wear two pair of glasses at the same time.

Maui Jim Sport with bronze lens for me. Lightweight and excellent lens.

Huge fan of oakleys but they are going to be around 160 for a good pair....i just replaced the lenses in my yesterday because they were bad enough that i couldn't see out of them anymore. Then replacements where 92 bucks but i like them better than my smiths

i am not really a big sight fisherman , so i wear cheapo 30 dollar glasses and i can see great with them

$89 for brand new Kaenon Klemm's . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Kaenon-Klemm-Sunglasses-Black-Polarized-207-01-G12-/250655979755?pt=US_Sunglasses&hash=item3a5c42b8eb

jaybo41,

""Maui Jim Sport with bronze lens for me. Lightweight and excellent lens.""

I just picked up a pair of Maui Jim's today, the MJ Sport with the bronze polarized lenses.
They are the most comfortable sunglasses and the polarizing is great, greens and reds really stand out. Love um'.

I have become a bigger fan of more expensive sunglasses - say $35-$60 per pair - than the el cheapo $10 Wally world specials.

My last pair was Smith Optics Omni shipped from Ebay for $40 - these are brown lenses I also have a pair of Bolle Anaconda in grey lenses - I beleive these were around $50 a few years ago.

Both are worth the $20-$30 more than a cheaper pair the lenses are top notch. I really like the Smith Optics and will buy this brand again. The Bolle's are just as crystal clear, though

pennsadventures wrote:
Huge fan of oakleys but they are going to be around 160 for a good pair....i just replaced the lenses in my yesterday because they were bad enough that i couldn't see out of them anymore. Then replacements where 92 bucks but i like them better than my smiths

Just go on the Oakley website to see what you're not seeing. I bought my son a new pair of Oakley's so that I could scarf his old ones for the cost of lens replacement. I have his Smiths which are in really great condition and they just aren't as good as the Oakleys. They are expensive but if you watch for sales, skip McDonalds and save your change they are sweet! 92 bucks! The polarized made for fishing lenses we replaced were cheaper than $92 by quite a bit. What kind do you have?

I am looking for replacement lenses for my Oakley's but I do not know what is the best color for fishing. I made the mistake when I bought mine not getting polarized so now I want to switch. Suggestions please!

A proper neutral density filter is grey, and will preserve the best colour clarity. However, for fishing purposes, brown will help reduce the amount of blue light reaching your eyes, which helps contrast.

You want brown.

Thanks Jerry!

I've had really good luck with maui jim's. Spending the money for them sucks but they are worth it. When I finally ponied uo that much money for good glasses I was forced to take care of them.

Back