Sunfish Chasers

For ponds I prefer my "gills". I'll often fish a dry or dry/dropper for them in warmer water and run a tandem rig that may include a brightly colored mop fly and a stillwater nymph. For summer I like chubby Chernobyls and other terrestrials. I will trail with these with size 16-14 hard body (epoxy) ant (killer pattern for bluegill!). I also like tossing spiders and poppers up top. I'll typically start off with a hopper/dropper style rig and then switch over to a popper at night for an easier to spot profile and not having to add floatant like I do with all my foam-bodied terrestrials. I do all of my pond fishing on a floating line as even an intermediate line would sink too quickly and I like the ease of picking floating line off of the water as opposed to having to pull out any intermediate or sinking/sink tip style line. I have a blast catching bluegill and am now taking in lighter line wt rods to have more fun with them as opposed to taking my usual 9ft 4wt pond rod that has substantially more performance value.

If you think catching the larger bluegills is easy, it's not. A good presentation and retrieve are paramount to getting the big ones to bite. A 10 inch bluegill is fairly old and you'd be surprised how wary and picky these fish can be. I just shut them down at a local reservoir. Caught around 4 in the 10 inch category and my two fishing buddies caught about the same amount. Now they have seemed to wise up to Mr. Booglebug and it's back to the drawing boards.

For creeks, redbreasts are my target and the appear to be in a great abundance in SEPA. The Brandywine is full of em' as well as the occasional yellow perch, fallfish, or dace. I typically pick these fish up while indicator nymphing for chubs/fallfish (sometimes an annoying stocker will latch itself onto one of my flies). The Schuylkill has a lot of redbreasts, about the only thing that swims in that river besides people and cats. I think redbreasts are the best fighters in the panfish bracket. I love their vibrant colors and attitude! During spawning in late spring, these fish are hyper-active and will crush anything that dares to pass through their beds. Such a joy to catch. @jifigz is correct in his assessment of stating that redbreasts are greater than rockbass. Although I don't mind rockbass as they have an interesting scale pattern and red eyes, they are probably the weakest fighting panfish, sharing their laziness with largemouth it seems.

Overall I have no shame in my game stating that I absolutely love panfish, to the point of acquiring high end setups to make combatting them more enjoyable. Redbreasts fight HARD as well as larger bluegill. Hook a 10 inch bluegill and you will be in for a fight on light tackle! Anyone who turns their nose up to a good panfishing session is a fool I say! Panfish are paramount in this sport and have probably introduced more people into the sport of angling as a whole than any other species.

For ponds I prefer my "gills". I'll often fish a dry or dry/dropper for them in warmer water and run a tandem rig that may include a brightly colored mop fly and a stillwater nymph. For summer I like chubby Chernobyls and other terrestrials. I will trail with these with size 16-14 hard body (epoxy) ant (killer pattern for bluegill!). I also like tossing spiders and poppers up top. I'll typically start off with a hopper/dropper style rig and then switch over to a popper at night for an easier to spot profile and not having to add floatant like I do with all my foam-bodied terrestrials. I do all of my pond fishing on a floating line as even an intermediate line would sink too quickly and I like the ease of picking floating line off of the water as opposed to having to pull out any intermediate or sinking/sink tip style line. I have a blast catching bluegill and am now taking in lighter line wt rods to have more fun with them as opposed to taking my usual 9ft 4wt pond rod that has substantially more performance value.

If you think catching the larger bluegills is easy, it's not. A good presentation and retrieve are paramount to getting the big ones to bite. A 10 inch bluegill is fairly old and you'd be surprised how wary and picky these fish can be. I just shut them down at a local reservoir. Caught around 4 in the 10 inch category and my two fishing buddies caught about the same amount. Now they have seemed to wise up to Mr. Booglebug and it's back to the drawing boards.

For creeks, redbreasts are my target and the appear to be in a great abundance in SEPA. The Brandywine is full of em' as well as the occasional yellow perch, fallfish, or dace. I typically pick these fish up while indicator nymphing for chubs/fallfish (sometimes an annoying stocker will latch itself onto one of my flies). The Schuylkill has a lot of redbreasts, about the only thing that swims in that river besides people and cats. I think redbreasts are the best fighters in the panfish bracket. I love their vibrant colors and attitude! During spawning in late spring, these fish are hyper-active and will crush anything that dares to pass through their beds. Such a joy to catch. @jifigz is correct in his assessment of stating that redbreasts are greater than rockbass. Although I don't mind rockbass as they have an interesting scale pattern and red eyes, they are probably the weakest fighting panfish, sharing their laziness with largemouth it seems.

Overall I have no shame in my game stating that I absolutely love panfish, to the point of acquiring high end setups to make combatting them more enjoyable. Redbreasts fight HARD as well as larger bluegill. Hook a 10 inch bluegill and you will be in for a fight on light tackle! Anyone who turns their nose up to a good panfishing session is a fool I say! Panfish are paramount in this sport and have probably introduced more people into the sport of angling as a whole than any other species.
Have you ever caught a rock bass by hand? They build a little rock pyramid when they spawn and an adult protects it. When I get close there are times the little buggers begin to hit my waders. Sometimes you can stick your finger out and they will grab it. It’s sort of like catching catfish by hand except they weigh 30 lbs less.

They eat anything that is put in front of them and if they miss it they will hit it 6 more times! Great 1 or 2 weight fish!
I believe you, but just reminding you that I was talking about redear sunfish, otherwise known as shell crackers, not redbreast sunfish. I have no doubt that they fight well, but I doubt I ever caught one. They are native to the Southeast, but I do know that you can buy them for your pond if you have an abundance of snails. They also don't reproduce as fast, making them a good pond fish that is less likely to overpopulate.

I just never paid attention to the type of sunfish except maybe Pumpkinseeds. Using DC's photo, I just compared it to the sunny I caught on the Quitty. It looks like a redbreast.
We were playing trivia at a local establishment. The one round always involves pictures. I couldn't believe my luck when the round was matching 10 PA fish. I got them all correct! Unfortunately the answer key reversed 2 of the sunnies so we got 2 wrong. Of course we lost by 1 point.

'Nother RBS guy here.

I'll target bluegills in the local lakes in some years but only in the springtime. During summer I focus mainly on small creeks where I'll get a bluegill from time to time but it's RBS habitat.

I'll second the red worm fly. The best advice I can give a newbie seeking to tie flies for sunnies is to use a very long shanked hook. Tiny streamer hooks are ideal as it makes getting the hooks out of their small mouths easier.

IMG 20230826 070434 753

Are these also bluegills? They seem to have more orange on the belly than the others I've caught.

I used to fish a spot on Susquehanna where a cold creek came in. All along that shoreline of the river below the creek the Green Sunfish would gather. We would fish small Wooly Buggers and catch them and occasionally a trout. I never run into Green Sunfish in numbers like that anymore. I enjoy finding the Red Breasted ones in creeks and have had good times catching them on dries on occasion during a Sulphur or Cahill hatch.

JeremyW, that looks like a Redbreast.

I've never encountered green sunfish in the Juniata. I know they aren't a native fish to the Susky watershed.

Back