sun protection

Sunlight is the main source of UV rays. Most of the people nowadays prefer slip on a shirt, sunscreens (Adorable Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+, SPF 33, All Terrain Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30, Fragrance Free, SPF 30), slap on a hat, wrap on sunglasses to protect the eyes. Sunscreens and sunglasses are the best ways to protect oneself for UV ray. Sunscreens are available at many medical stores and sunglasses in many wholesale sunglasses suppliers.

That wholesale sunglasses suppliers link is ****! Thanks.

As for all you guys who wear long sleeves... any particular brands/styles you prefer? I need to get a few.

I like that sunshade one mentioned from Patagonia... I'll have to wait to see if it goes on sale.

As for all you guys who wear long sleeves... any particular brands/styles you prefer? I need to get a few.

I have a whole collection of those button down fishing shirts that are caped in the back, in both short sleeve and long.

Generally, though, just make sure it's 100% polyester. I'm not a fan of nylon. And no cotton. Ever. Seriously.

I hate the color choices though. Each year they all change up the color options but they have too much of an affinity for bright colors.

As far as comfort/longevity:

Under Armour is the best going IMO. Look up the "fish stalker".

Simms shirts are good too. I'm a fan of the ebbtide.

The Columbia PFG stuff doesn't fit me right, but YMMV. Looks like quality. Just cut wrong for me.

Generally I find the Cabelas/Bass Pro house brands to be cheaply made and overly-designed. The simplicity is one of the things I like. But these have pockets within pockets, loops everywhere, etc. Bleh.

I have a Field and Stream version I like.

I have an Ex-Officio long sleeve (air strip model) that I'm not a big fan of. Doesn't seem to breathe as well. But it's several years old and I don't know what their newer offerings are like.

Agree- the last 7-8 years I do not fish without long sleeve (mostly a Ex- offieo) light green shirt. Spf 50. I like the quick drying spray kind. Lotion blows. Wide brim hat. Ball cap doesn't protect your ears

Timely as I was at dermatologist yesterday and need a pre cancerous spot removed from my cheek- right below sunglasses. Doctor said he would normally freeze off but would leave too big of a scar and or discoloration. Have to go back in Jan to have removed. Said Jan cause the solution they use can't be exposed to much sunlight.

Get your check ups - blue and green eyed people.

I’m a Columbia guy. In at least part because STP usually has a good selection of their products and with their deal flyer email coupons $60ish sticker price fishing shirts are typically more in the $30-$35 range. Best bang for the buck IMO. I have a good bit of their PFG line and like them. They run big…I’m typically a L in most things, but generally order M from Columbia. Agree with pcray that UA stuff is typically top in terms of quality…but also in price, and it’s harder to find deals on UA stuff.

In the technical fishing shirts, some of Columbia’s line are more breathable than others…the “Low Drag Offshore” was my favorite and I have several of those. Not sure if they’re still making them, but you can probably still find some out there from the overstock type retailers.

I also have several of their long sleeve T-style “chill” shirts that aid in cooling when they get wet with sweat or water. They work well and I like them for Summer WW or beach fishing. When at the beach I don’t ever even take them off anymore as I want the sun protection. No pockets on those, but they keep you cooler than the technical shirts.

I have a good bit of their PFG line and like them. They run big…I’m typically a L in most things, but generally order M from Columbia.

My problem is arms. I have big arms. I mean, all of me is big (err, in circumference, anyway). But my upper arms especially so.

Columbia seems to cut most of the shirt big, but not the upper arms. So if I get a XL like I do with most brands, it's big for me, and the arms are too long. If I get a L, most of it fits me, but the upper arms are too small.

Again, that's just a personal fit thing. Their cut doesn't suit me. But it's not a complaint on quality or anything like that.

Pcray,you have the right idea with the hat. Wide brim is best. I've had precancerous spots removed from my ears and nose as well as arms. The ears aren't fun for sure. The worst is the top of my head. So cover up those "bald" areas!! I see the dermatologist twice a year ,the fruits of living in Florida. GG

Irish Sun Block. The Pub. Best sun block ever. But, when I must walk to the truck. Long sleeve UV shirt and Tilly full brimmed hat. Script polarized sunglasses.Finger less gloves Can't stand the scarf thing around the neck. I'm not on the Bone Flats. Then once in the truck. Plenty of AC and some sun visor if needed. Oh, and I always drive on the shady side of the road. Regardless.

I wore ball caps for years but now I have some spots on my ears that the Doc says to watch. So wide brim from now on. I like Columbia long sleeve shirts but it's not easy to find darker colors. With a lot of searching I found some darker olive and brown shirts for my collection.

If I'm out on the boat I now am wearing a buff to protect my face and fishing gloves. (More spots on the hands that my Doc promises are going to be problems.)

Tilly wide brimmed hat. Most comfortable thing I have ever had on my head. No sunscreen, makes me feel dirty and it makes me feel hotter.

Long sleeve shirt, sunglasses, and hat. Usually long pants.

I cover up. Long sleeve quick dry fishing shirt and wide brim hat.

I normally wear a long sleeve fishing shirt, sunglasses and a ball cap. That combo seems to work fine here however after a couple days of flyfishing in direct sun during my recent Colorado trip I invested in a Columbia Schooner Bank Catchalot ball cap. It is lightweight, UPF 50 and has a cape to shade your ears and neck. The sun in Colorado is HOT!! It will burn you quick!

I'm into long sleeve shirts, wide brimmed hat, and sunglasses.

I bone fish once a year so I have a buff and sun gloves - I need full body protection in the tropics. Don't like the buff unless I am in killer sun, but light sun gloves are really comfortable and keep my hands from getting oily with sun screen. Now I wear them all the time canoeing, or when fishing in an area with no shade.

All the major suppliers make nice sun shirts these days in my experience. I have Columbia, Patagonia, Kuhl, and North Face shirts and all are nice. Some of the long sleeve Tee's out now are good too, but they don't have pockets. I typically search for bargains in the fall at the end of the summer season.

As an old fart, I will stress like others the importance of UV protection. Back in the 80's BASS fishermen were more macho and didn't wear much protection. Then many of them developed cancers so the protective gear came out.

Just a PSA. Skin cancer is very real. Please protect yourself. I learned the hard way................

cancer2%20002-L.jpg

franklin wrote:
I wore ball caps for years but now I have some spots on my ears that the Doc says to watch. So wide brim from now on. I like Columbia long sleeve shirts but it's not easy to find darker colors

That happened to my waterman friend who's in his eighties. Every year they keep taking pieces off his face.

Boonie / fishing hat for me to keep sun off the ears and neck. Always nice to have to that strip around your head to hang things on too.

Back