sun protection

N

notan641

What are everybody's prefered methods of sun protection these days. Has anyone tried one of those gaiters that pull up over the ears and nose?

Sun Screen, Sunglasses and a Ball Cap.

Long sleeve shirt that's breathable and a ball cap.

Cover up. I use long sleeves and pants, also a Buff (gaiters as you called them) when I'm out all day. Easier than sunscreen and not as messy.

LetortAngler wrote:
Sun Screen, Sunglasses and a Ball Cap.

This. ^

I suppose if you fish big rivers or lakes in the sun all day a mask or gaiter would bea good idea, especially if you've had skin issues in the past. However, for our forested streams and smaller rivers where I hang out, a hat and sunscreen does the trick.

Sunglasses (polarized), ballcap, and sunscreen. I also wear a neck scarf. Besides keeping my neck covered, I like to douse it with insect repellent.

High-SPF sunscreen and that's it. I sweat WAY too much to bundle up under a hat and face covering in the Summer heat. If I start sweating, even the "sweatproof" sunblock will be gone in short order.

A Cabelas Goretex boonie (for sun and rain) and a long sleeve shirt (for sun, vegetation, bugs and blending in with the surroundings). Previously, the hat was an Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero. A good hat protects from sun and rain and can also provide a shading effect for your eye0s, enhancing visibility a bit. Sunglasses are defacto gear for their polarizing capabilities alone but double for eye protection, both from the sun and the errant fly you rip lose from a fish or rock or tree limb, that is now on a slow trajectory for your noggin.

I have been very happy with the Repel bug and sun screen. Seems to work very well with both the mosqueetos and the sun. When I'm not trugging through the woods I just use the spray on sun screen. I can't wear any of those things that go over your face. My glasses just fog up like crazy and I can't stand breething into the things.

Ball cap, sleeves, and a buff.

Ball cap keeps the sun off your head/face.

Long sleeve are obvious.

Buff keeps the sun off your neck and ears if you pull it up that high, plus I really like it for keeping #censor# (pine needles especially) from going down the back of my neck when crawling around in the woods.

Variety of long sleeve shirts - some with collars, some without. Always a hat to protect the bald spot. Not good about applying sun screen which is far more evident when I come home from the golf course. I have a couple buffs but have found they are rather warm for hot weather. I actually prefer not to fish on bright sunny days so I'm not sure I expose myself to the sun as much as some may.

Patagonia makes a great lightweight hoodie called the Sunshade. It's expensive retail, but I got one offseason on clearance and tried it out Monday on the Susky. It was unbelievably breathable. Worked like a charm. I believe it was designed for flats fishing in the tropics.

In cooler weather, I do the long sleeve shirt thing. Hat and sunglasses. Maybe a little sunscreen on the neck and face anyway.

In warm weather, I can't stand long sleeves, even the light breathable fly fishing button down type shirts. But they make those shirts in short sleeve too, then just add sunscreen to arms.

Good advice to you to cover up, etc. I didn't when I was young, and I pay for it now. So, make sure you take precautions.

I use a long sleeve shirt sprayed with permethrin, BB hat and a buff. If its really hot I will dunk the buff in the drink and put it back on to cool off.

troutpoop wrote:
I use a long sleeve shirt sprayed with permethrin, BB hat and a buff. If its really hot I will dunk the buff in the drink and put it back on to cool off.

I do the same but the hat is a wide brim hat. No bug issues. No worry about getting sun screen on flies or synthetics. The long sleeve shirt is SPF rated. Usually by Columbia.

troutpoop wrote:
If its really hot I will dunk the buff in the drink and put it back on to cool off.

Such a refreshing feeling.

I sweat like a pig all the time so Ill wear the buff as a bandana when it gets super hot to keep sweat outta my eyes. Very versatile piece of gear

SPF 30 -50 shirt. Wide brimmed hat,Sun screen on the bald spot/ ears and nose. To much tissue frozen and cut off over the years. Melanoma plays no favorites. Please get sun glasses for your kids and keep them slathered in sun screen. I see to many adults with sun glasses while the kids have none. Guess the adults don't think kids need the same protection they do? GG

I use sunscreen, waders are hot enough, so I counteract that with sleeveless shirts in the summer time. Dont think I could do long sleeve and I'm not really in to wet wadding. Too much poison and too many snakes where I fish. I feel somewhat protected wearing waders.

Back