Sun glasses

PaulG

I finally had to get a pair of permanent bifocal glasses, I would like to get a pair of clip on polarized sun glasses for them. Any ideas on what kind are best and do I have to get them from the eye doctor or can I buy them off the rack?

Thanks

PaulG

They also have ones called Cocoons that fit over you other glasses but don't look as bad and "fitovers" used to. I think they run about 40 bucks. This should help.

http://www.sunglassesgiant.com/cosu.html

I'll second Tom's recommendation for Cacoons. Personally, I like the yellow lenses. At the JAM, Shakey gave my Cacoons a vote of approval - so you know they're cool. :-D

My only problem with Cacoons Paul, is that they will make you look like an old man. ;-) There sort of huge. I think clip on shades wouldn't fog up as much if you could find a pair you like. I have to say they at least have more options now. Let me know what you end up with, it's getting harder and harder for me to see tying on flies as well. Can't see far, can't see near. I'll be blind by 60.

no, the ones my diabetic, light sensitive grandma wore were big. Cocoons have several styles and many of them don't look like the ones you may be thinking about.

Polarized clip-ons off the rack are fine over your prescription glasses. I prefer the amber color.

Some fit better than others. For example, when flipped down over your glasses, one brand may not cover the lenses closely, and that gap lets in a little glare, while another brand will cover just right. Also check for how well they stay in the up position under your hat. Just try before you buy.

I have no idea about brands since mine don't have that info on them. I usually get a couple of seasons out of clip-ons before they get too scratched to continue. They do scratch easily so I take pretty good care of them. Fortunately they are usually under $10.00.

I find the ability to flip up or down in an instant to be a useful feature. For example, it is useful to know how ripply vs. smooth water is, or if a portion of stream is marginally deeper than usual. Polarized sunglasses mask some of those subtle differences, and quckly flipping them out of the way to see helps. Then there is the common issue of going from brightly lit to deeply shaded frequently as you move along the stream.

As an FYI: when I needed bi-focals 15 years or so ago, I could not get used to fishing or driving with them. The stream bottom was never in focus when wading. I switched back to the last prescription glasses I wore before gettng the bi-focals. One of the many compromises that comes with aging.

I went with the flip downs and finally decided to buy a pair of Smith Optics with built in 2x bifocals. This was one of the better equipment purchases I have ever made. I've had them for 3 years and no way would I go back to the flip downs.

I have some fitovers--they are pretty big so they don't fog up. But I don't notice people sneaking up on me when I have them on.

Also have some clip ons that I really like that I got at the eye doctor. You hook one side to your glasses then spread them to clip to the opposite side--spring return for a tight fit.

tomgamber wrote:
no, the ones my diabetic, light sensitive grandma wore were big. Cocoons have several styles and many of them don't look like the ones you may be thinking about.

From the shops I've seen they would make you look like an owl. Paul you should look fetching. But given seeing to fish or not I'd buy those ugly things too. I'd buy them and wear them if and only if they didn't fog up all of the time. They are honkers and I see them everywhere. Still Ugly and big. Good luck Paul. Bad enough you need them in the first place and you have a woman concerned that they won't show you off. Buy what suits you, you will without a doubt do it anyway. 😎 Tight lines to you!

Paul, I have a pair of cocoons that somebody left at our brunch a couple years ago. Nobody ever called to say they were missing and they've been sitting on my desk for dang near 2 years. They're all yours if you want them.

Boyer

MattBoyer wrote:
Paul, I have a pair of cocoons that somebody left at our brunch a couple years ago. Nobody ever called to say they were missing and they've been sitting on my desk for dang near 2 years. They're all yours if you want them.

Boyer

Thanks Matt, I'd like to give a try!

PaulG

BTW was in Wlamart yesterday and discovered they carry small plastic reading lenses that can be placed on the lower part of regular sunglasses to turn them into bifocals. $7 a pair found in the pharmacy section with the reading glasses.

I picked up a pair of those clip on, they were only $7.00, figured I'd give them a try. I only wore them once while fishing, they worked pretty well.

I can't believe how much better I can see with these new glasses, The only thing I use before were those reading glasses, you buy at the store. I fished today for the first time with my new ones. Couldn't believe how easy it was to tie on my tippet and hooks. Now Maurice won't have to tie them for me!

The only bad thing about this is, two years I finally broke down and bought a good pair $$ of sun glasses, now I won't be using them. Maurice will probably get them!

PaulG

Wow sounds like me readingnthru the posts. I have been faced with the same problem. I have tried several solutions noe that have been perfect but ok. I first went with changeable lenses. They were ok but without the polorizations they just don't cut it. I have tried the clip ons and they are also ok. I recently bought a pair of perscription sun glasses that have bificols. I like the polarization but they seem to put distances off. Another option that I have tried is the new progressive contacts that let your see both near and far. I then wear a good pair of sunglassess. This was the best option until it gets to low light then the contacts don't seem to work as well. I think I need to get a pair of the Cacoons to try them. I found a similar pair at the rive shot but they were quite expensive. I hate to spend a bunch of dollars to find out they don't work. Best solution may be to hire someone to walk behind me to tie. Stinks getting old. Lucky the eyesight was the first to go.

Back