New guy - Pohocopo

TheBlackSheep

Hi everyone, looks like I may be in the area of Pohopoco for a few days. Wondering if anyone had any intentions of heading out. I understand the temps here are cooler year round. Just a thought.

Hit the Po today by Interchange and Rock. Clear, cold, flowing. Noted some fish rising around 10-11am. Threw everything I had out there: dry, wet, nymph, dry dropper. Nada.

Got some decent real life casting practice in and peace and quiet for a few hours.

Open to any suggestions as to flies, tactics, pools, good luck, breed of rooster to sacrifice for a few hits, anything.

I fished this creek about a month ago. I started up below the base of the damn and fished dries the entire time I was there. I used caddis with a brown body and was hooking up consistently. at one point they the fish got wise of my flies so I started throw 2 dries at once. I'd get looks one the one and then they'd smack the 2nd one. all my fish were caught in the riffles, none in slow water. It was a fun day, but my first time I fished this creek I didn't catch a thing.

I fished this creek about a month ago. I started up below the base of the damn and fished dries the entire time I was there. I used caddis with a brown body and was hooking up consistently. at one point they the fish got wise of my flies so I started throw 2 dries at once. I'd get looks one the one and then they'd smack the 2nd one. all my fish were caught in the riffles, none in slow water. It was a fun day, but my first time I fished this creek I didn't catch a thing.
Really appreciate you offering that insight. Thank you.

Hit the Po today by Interchange and Rock. Clear, cold, flowing. Noted some fish rising around 10-11am. Threw everything I had out there: dry, wet, nymph, dry dropper. Nada.

Got some decent real life casting practice in and peace and quiet for a few hours.

Open to any suggestions as to flies, tactics, pools, good luck, breed of rooster to sacrifice for a few hits, anything.
Was today in the afternoon, in the area of the station. Fish were actively feeding from the surface. But I did not take anything.
I tried dry and nymph. Last weekend I caught fish on the same flies there.
During the whole time I caught one perch the size of a finger.
This is my third outing on the water in Po and in general in FF. The first weekend I catch 1 fish. The second time I catch 5.
I think the size of my flies was too big. It is necessary to try 18-20 was, but I did not have such.

The rising might have been a Trico spinner fall.

Was worried I may have done something incorrectly.

Funny mention on the tricolor spinner fall. I'd later seen a bunch of stuff on the surface of another lake with even what looked to be small bass and a huge catfish rising - looked like flying ants or something.

After failing at Po on Thursday, I was there again on Friday and Sunday. In the USGS station area. I didn't catch anything again on Friday. The fish were still coming up to the surface, but they weren't taking flies. No nymphs, no dry flies. The anglers fishing nearby didn't have any fish either.
Saturday I did not want to go out on the water. I read the forum, followed some recommendations and tied a Sulphur Emerger #18.
And on Sunday he brought me 7 rainbow fish. The first time I fished on Emerger. I don't even know if I did it right.
There were also fishermen around me. I didn't see them releasing any fish.
I think that the right fly played a role.
The question is how to understand when exactly and what is the right one. To repeat the success in other times, when the preferences of fish will again change.

Back