Summer trout fishing near Cannan Valley WV

albatross

albatross

I'll be in Cannan Valley next week on vacation Tues-Sat. My research has turned up Red Run (fly-fishing only), Blackwater River (Catch and Release in BWF state park and stocked general regs in Cannan Valley) and Red Creek (stocked general regs south of CV). I assume there are also plenty of wild streams in the area, but I haven't stumbled into a good resource for finding them. It's not a fishing trip per se, but I hope to get out for a few hours two or three times. We are staying in the Timberline Resort area.

Any information would be much appreciated. PM is fine.

damn near any water in that area should have some fish. your also not far from Seneca creek and that area to the south.
also, fun to go up to dolly sods and just hike around, great views and environment if you've never been there.
AND, don't forget to hit http://mountainstatebrewing.com/ in Thomas, http://www.purplefiddle.com/ , also in Thomas, and in Davis, http://www.hellbenderburritos.com/
some good eats and drinks in all those spots and just up the road from where you'll be.

I HAVE FISHED RED RUN A COUPLE TIMES AND WOULD RECOMMEND TRYING IT.

Thanks Biker and Gfoldc! My wife has been scouting the eating options and they are sparse in Cannan Valley, so the trip to Davis for some good eats makes sense.

Ahhh, the amazing Canaan Valley...love it down there. For food there's also Sarriani's Pizza in Davis (also a location in the Valley, but it might be winter time only) which is pretty damn good, and Tip Top Coffee in Thomas also has good eats. Mutley's in Davis is supposed to be pretty good for steaks, but have never eaten there. If you wanna eat out, yeah, there's not much in the Valley proper...Little John's family style and there's a Subway at the gas station, also a sandwich shop/six pack store in the plaza near the Timberline Rd, but haven't been in there yet....Hellbenders, Sarriani's and a night in Thomas, plus cooking in keeps me well fed while down there. Best beer selection is at the Shop n Save in Davis if you need to restock.

Fishing wise, was just on the Blackwater a couple wknds ago in the park. Nice pocket water and deeper runs to work just above the C&R wire. Park at the bridge above the falls and work upstream. Hooked into a couple nice 'bows in the couple hours I was there w/ my girlfriend. Red Run is a nice little regulated brookie stream accessable from Loop Road.

Down out of the Valley to the south, look for Laneville on your map, good looking water coming down off the mountains there, Red Creek. It feeds the Dry Fork, which is bigger water, but looked awfully inviting back over Memorial Day. There's a real good looking stretch paralleled by River Rd off of Rt 72. I think there's also some good brookie fishing in the Otter Creek area...

And if you've got a day to drive/explore, the mention of fishing around Seneca is a good one, and if you've really got time to drive, head another hour or two south and fish the Elk River down near Slatyfork, that's some beautiful water to explore.

Oh, and there might be some pond fishing there around T'line too...

Back