Summer time at Kettle Creek

H

hof52

I belong to a camp in emporium and would like to fish kettle creek never have before but might make a trip in the first or second week of july i no trout are tough in the summer would this trip be worth it?
any other tips would be great
thanks
adam

Water temps will probably be too warm below Cross Fork and possibly too warm below Ole Bull State Park in a normal year, but that may not be the case this year as a quick check of the USGS gauge showed flow being up and temp being down today.

heavy rain has made it run up and cooler this month. there has been over 5 inches of rain in june. expect it to return low and warmer especially as the summer passes. kettle might not be the best bet this time of year. usgs would be a good go to a day or two before you leave for your trip. if temps are still low it would make for good fishing but i would expect temps to rise.

It'll be too warm below the Warpath Bridge, so head to the headwaters. There has been a lot of rain though so maybe there will be fish there, but I doubt it. The section between Germania Branch and Sliders should have fish though.

Would it be a better use of my time to fish the little J?

what and miss out on some nice solitude fishing, and the fish are here. fish the tribs and upper part of kettle there are fish around.

Go to the cabin and fish the small streams in the region. It will be great.

The summer months is one of the best times to fish in that region. Just fish the smaller streams, not the big water.

We've been getting rains, so the flow levels are good.

If you decide not to go, send me a key to the cabin and I'll go. It's good to have a "caretaker" at your cabin. I'll sweep the floor, mow the yard...

Upstream of Ole Bull will be fine. I would personally recommend the 28 miles of wild brooktrout enhancement waters. As Sandy said, solitude, beautiful scenery and beautiful fish.

I'm from Renovo and I do very well with a light adams on kettle creek. I tie my own light adams, it is a regular adams with a yellow or pale yellow body.

Me personally if you get a chance to fish the J it's a no brainer. One of the top quality rivers in the state and the fish have room to run when you hook them. Wouldn't even hesitate.

If I had a choice between the LJ and NC PA, it would be NC PA every time. Just saying.

Kettle fished well over the past three days from Ole Bull downstream to Alvin Bush Dam...day and night. Water temps ranged from 59-70 deg F.

70 degrees= too warm for catch and release fishing.
If you are harvesting then have at it.

The water temperature range that I reported above for this week was on a longitudinal basis, not on a temporal basis.

Back