Summer Streamer Fishing

A

AimAsisstMuch

Over the spring months there was a log of rain and I’ve gotten really into throwing big articulated streamers. I’ve been doing so on relatively small to mid sized streams, but as summer approaches I’ve had less and less success. Do I have to wait for rain or is it possible to succeed with streamers on a cloudy day if I fish it right (or downsize). Also, would it help if I went to larger waters for my streamer fishing endeavors.
Thanks.

I fish streamers a lot and my best bite is very early morning and rising water levels to the point of being very dirty. Browns love to feed on the rise.

it is possible to throw streamers with success any time of the year under any conditions. If you are referring to trout fishing specifically, make sure the water is cold enough to be in a good spot so the trout have lots of energy and a thriving appetite.

One of the most misguided pieces of information I've ever heard is that streamers are reserved for dirty water and cloudy days. You can have tremendous streamer fishing under clear water and sunny skies. The biggest thing is to make sure that the streamer isn't spooking fish as it plunks down. On certain streams, this isn't an issue. On small streams, it may be.

I fished streamers almost exclusively until the last few years because they worked in all conditions and I almost always fish smaller brookie/wild streams. When water became lower or clearer adapting casting was necessary to avoid spooking them. Casting into the heavier riffles, right into the plunge or even onto a bank and working the streamer to where I wanted it always worked for me. Anything that helps hide it hitting the water helps.

Also switching between unweighted and weighted makes a difference. Last week caught a few on dries walking upstream and figured I’d throw a bugger on the way back down. Nothing on an unweighted but as soon as I switched to a tungsten head they came to life. This was a small stream where the deepest holes were no more than 2 1/2 feet deep.

Depending on water temps, don't forget about night time streamer fishing. Get there early so you can get comfortable with a section of stream. Getting a nasty tug in darkness is lots of fun!

On small to medium streams , might seem counterintuitive, but fish downstream instead of upstream once the fish are super spooky and summer comes. This works for me from time to time. You start a good ways upstream and make a long cast to the riffle at the head of the hole and dance the streamer downstream while feeding it line. Wiggle the rod, let a little more line out. Keep going till your streamer has worked its way to about the middle of the hole. Once you feel you are out of the heavier current, bring her back up through with twitches , strips etc. This has three major advantages. 1.You can fish much further away, 2. you can more easily fish the broken water where they can’t see you as good, and 3. you almost never spook a trout in the tail of the pool that ruins the hole.

Some disadvantages ….the trout are looking in your direction, and this is not always a great way to fish the tail of each pool. They get a good look at you coming from upstream in the slow water.
~5footfenwick

The summertime window is small. Early and late.

It can be good but short lived each day

Last edited:
What everyone said is exactly true, only thing I would add is pick every little pocket on my way into a juicy seam. I always hunt my way to mid stream lies.

Dare to be different. While everyone is throwing a 1000 different versions of ants, beetles, etc., you'd be surprised how readily trout will smash a well-presented olive/black woolybugger, sculpin, zonker in the Summer...especially on limestone streams w/browns.

Back