Summer nymph patterns on the Little J

NewSal

NewSal

Whats everyones summer nymph patterns for fishing the little j?
My catch rate has dramatically decreased sense the sulpher hatch.
Been catching a few here and there on flashback PT's, and one or two on baetis nymphs.

Was exploring - flipping rocks ect and noticed a fair amount of tan caddis larva and midge larva.
So I tied up a few beadhead tan caddis (16 & 18) larvas, and some brown zebra midges (18-20). Have yet to toss these yet.

Any other pattern suggestions / favorite patterns for summer nymphing?

Or any other tips for getting into more fish during these summer months would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Besides some of the more standard nymph patterns (pt variants, caddis larva, walts worm, etc.), some of my best producers are green honeybugs ( 8-12, tied with cotton chenille), wet black ants (14-18), and iso nymphs. In areas where sizeable springs dump in, a good light tannish scud pattern (16-20) can work really well.

What would be your go-to nymph rig evw? Implying two nymphs for one rig?

I've fished caddis larva with my PT's but the caddis larva were more of a pupa variant and I haven't had any luck with them.
The type I tied were strictly larva and I'm hoping they will work better.

Also what size iso nymph do you prefer? I've also fished with them but haven't had any takes with those either.

Even with lower flows the Greenie Weenie seems to always fool a fish or two, if other more imitative flies aren't doing the trick.
One of my favorite tandem rigs for the J is a #14 Olive/Tan Bird of Prey Caddis and #16 Zebra Midge, or a #10 Girdle Bug, and Pheasant Tail #14-20.
The J is a pretty decent size crick, so upsizing your patterns can sometimes be more rewarding than downsizing.

I agree with all above patterns, but also want to suggest a Zebra Midge, but tied in olive to represent small BWO's (sizes 18-22, with 20 being most common I fish)...good luck on the J!

TC

What would be your go-to nymph rig evw? Implying two nymphs for one rig?

In the more obvious productive riffles, runs and pocket water, I often find myself either throwing a tungsten pt or tungsten honeybug as my bottom point fly, with a small bwo nymph, wet ant, green caddis larva, iso nymph, or small soft hackle up top as a dropper. I fish three flies sometimes, but not that often. I sometimes fish a wet ant by itself with a very small split shot. Plop it lightly near banks with brush and try to get a decent drift. I've caught some nice fish this way, strikes often occur a second or two after the ant hits the water. If you find yourself on the middle river where some of the bigger springs flow in, try scud patterns. They are a substantial forage source in these sections, especially in the summer when there isn't much hatching and drifting through the water column.

Also what size iso nymph do you prefer? I've also fished with them but haven't had any takes with those either.

the naturals are around a size 10 I would say. I usually tie mine on a tiemco 200r size 14. If slates are hatching, I usually fish this fly by itself actively, almost like a wet fly. cast out in the current, let it swing, make some mends, and work it with short twitches back towards the bank (where they often emerge). This can be a really fun and effective way to fish them.

Back