Summer fishing trip - N.Central vs Centre County?

C

Clams

Planning a summer road trip to do some fly fishing with my son. Looking do be somewhere within a days drive of SE PA, so considering north central PA (Slate, Kettle, Cedar etc) and Centre County (Elk, Pines, Spring, Penns etc) as destinations. Will probably fish three days, one with a guide and then on our own.

Anyone have advice on choosing between these two regions? Or maybe someplace else?? Trip will be the first week of August so concerned about summer water flows, water temps and fishability in general.

Thanks.

The larger limestone waters of central PA should be in better shape than the larger north central freestone streams. You can probably find some nice and cool brookie waters up there but if it were me I'd shoot for Centre County and or other adjacent that have good limestones. In August though I'd probably just turn it into a smallmouth trip.

The larger limestoners of the Centre County area will likely have more water and better flows on average at that time of year, but outside of an unusually wet, cool Summer, they’ll all probably have thermal issues by that point that make them less than ideal, if not unethical, for responsible C&R Trout fishing.

The NC part of PA will likely be starved for water, but I think that’s a better bet to be honest. The big streams (Kettle/Pine/etc) are essentially Smallmouth streams at that time of year, which can be a good thing. Their tribs can fish well if you’re lucky enough to catch a decent rain or round of Tstorms to bring them up. The tribs will be fine temp wise, but they tend to fish very tough when they're low and clear. I think you have more options that time of year up there than Centre County to be honest. If flows are low, fish the big streams for Bass. If you get lucky and catch some rain, you have the tribs for wild Trout.

If it’s a road trip, keep your plans loose and go where the best conditions are. Centre County, if it’s fishable, is only about a 2 hour drive from the Kettle/Pine drainages.

Back