sulphur dubbing

J

jrcll

last year at the jam i bought some dubbing at the featherd hook, it was from spirit river, and it was called 'dazl hares ear sulphur yellow,' but i can`t remember what the person that sold it to me said it was for, the spinner or the dun ? anyone familiar with that dubbing

Not familiar with that dubbing, but the DRC dubbings are very good blends. I like biots for my duns and quills for my spinners!

Here's one of my recent ties... just messing with different combo's of materials for a sulphur.... bodies of biot, dubbing, quill; hackle in catskill, parachute, and cdc, and tails of hackle or my new although cheap paintbrush... this one is catskill, biot, paintbrush on sz 16.

Attachments

• sulphur.jpg
    sulphur.jpg
    672.8 KB · Views: 2
Here is my Sulphur pattern. CDC, thread and some dubbing around the wing case.

Very easy to tie and it works!

Attachments

• Photos 076 compressed.jpg
    Photos 076 compressed.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 2
Skyblue,
if you dont mind me asking, what type and color is that thread?

jeff

saw a "days-of-old" sulfur hatch yesterday on a SE creek with fish rising all over the place, got to get some sulfurs tied up for friday....

It's really not necessary to buy a dubbing mix for every species of insect that's out there. You end up paying $5.00 for $.05 worth of fluff. Buy some basic colors of synthetic dubbing (for dries) and mix them yourself. You can even make dubbing out of various types of yarn (stay away from wool for dries though).

You can use a coffee bean grinder to mix it in bulk, but most times I just mix colors together with my fingers. You can mess around and copy the color of the hatching insects on your favorite stream. I use a basic sulfur colored dubbing unmixed, or I mix little olive in for some insects I see, or a little orange in it for others. A few basic colors can be mixed to match anything your want. You can also experiment with adding some antron, sparkly stuff, or whatever, to make your flies stand out. Experiment, it's fun!

Sulphers already? What stream was that on? Seems a little early to be seeing sulphers.

No one said they saw them already... just getting prepared for them to start in a few weeks.

No one said they saw them already... just getting prepared for them to start in a few weeks.

skiltonian on 2010/4/21 21:28:40

saw a "days-of-old" sulfur hatch yesterday on a SE creek with fish rising all over the place, got to get some sulfurs tied up for friday....

well there have been guys saying they saw caddis in march too and they were brown stone flys so........

pale yellow is a good sulphur color for dries, and it may not surprise me if someone actually did see sulphurs as the hatches have been early this year.

more than likely they were yellow or pale yellow crane flys , they fly like a may fly but have no tails

I tend to think a lot of this discussion of the correct color for mayfly bodies (and in particular for the sulfur, or at least that #16 sulfur that produces such significant hatches on PA streams) is as much based in religion or what we have experience/faith in as it is in anything having to do with reality or actual imitation. You can sort of see it in the fairly wide variations of body colors recommended on this thread.

Given that, here's what my religion tells me about the "right" color for sulfur duns: For the body, I like to use a mix of dubbing that is close to a medium, sort of dull tan with a bit of a yellow highlight. I'll take out my standard tan dubbing and my bags of bright yellow and pale/dirty yellow and keep mixing them until the result is what the voices in my head say it should be. Usually, it ends up looking a lot like what the voices in my head told it me it should look like when I was tying sulfurs the year before.

In religion, this is what we call receiving a sign...:)

Whatever it is though, its way more tan than yellow.

The nymphs are (again, according to my religion) somewhat different. I do best on sulfur nymphs that are more of a camel color than either tan or yellow and a little bit fatter in the body than you might make the normal nymph. Well, maybe camel with a little extra yellow in it. I tie them on a #14 wet fly hook because: 1) this seems to be the right size and 2) I have a lot of #14 wet fly hooks left over from the time I decided to bypass all this caddis pupa crap for the Grannom and just fish a Leadwing Coachman. Which worked well enough to suit me and the voices.

Troutbert has told me a number of times that a pretty effective sulfur nymph can be made of equal parts medium hare's ear and regular yellow mixed.

I ran this by the voices in my head and they said it was a sound idea. And so I made some and they worked pretty well.

This made me wonder if the voices in my head weren't really Troutbert. But I don't think they are because they have yet to say anything to me about the importance of woody debris...:)

That's all..

The voices in me head tell me to post a picture of a Shenk Sulphur and open this thread up to a whole new realm.:)

shnksulf9.jpg

I tie them in pale yellow, orange-yellow, and pink-yellow.

I also tied some of these to try this year:

DSC00031.JPG

The Usual

>>The voices in me head tell me to post a picture of a Shenk Sulphur and open this thread up to a whole new realm.>>

Boy, I'll bet the adherents of that religion could all fit into a pretty small church...:)

So, what everyone is saying is, that trout are colorblind. Works for me!

Boy, I'll bet the adherents of that religion could all fit into a pretty small church...:)

H'ain't the first time I've been accused of steppin' to the beat of a different drummer:)

Festus,

Do you know the story behind that fly? Is there any reason to give it that bright of a body?

Back