Sulpher observations

Acristickid

Acristickid

Sulphers- a widespread hatch with a long hatch duration that most fly fishers are very familiar with.

Some how my memory of Sulpher hatches in years past seem to have been much thicker or heavier than my more recent experiences.

Anyhow, an observation that I’ve witnessed in a good many outings this year- seemed like sulphers hatched strainght out of the water and took flight immediately without riding on the surface of the water for any distance at all.

Not every outing but the majority of the days I was out I seemed to witness this. Perhaps it was just conditions but I fished on cool days, rainy days, sunny days etc and didn’t seem to make a difference.

Perhaps I was fooled and didn’t really see them riding in the riffles or runs but it didn’t seem like it.

Anyone with insight or other observations on sulphers?

That's exactly what I was seeing on the Tulpehocken this weekend. Just popped up right in front of me with no drama.
I posted the other day asking for help with the identification... maybe this helps confirm I was seeing sulphers.

I think early Sulphers, hatch in cooler water, cooler air and therefore are on the surface longer. You also have it be careful with recollections, as they can be very selective. This is where those guys who keep records and such maybe have a better idea of what’s “ normal”

They were pretty quick off the water in last weekends heat for sure.

I have employed the “gotta go to know” strategy this year.

Results have been “not much to show”. These recollections seem more vivid when you have to drive 2-3 hours each way.

So warmer waters bring them straight off.

What is ideal water temp for sulphers?

Paul, two years ago, Mkerr, Alby and myself hit the big sulphers ( invaria or rotonda) on the J. Fish rising when we got there in the AM, still rising when we quit at dark. I recall wearing my rain jacket, so it was cool that day. And epic. Once you get into dortheas it’s a pretty quick shot at dark a lot of days.

I can’t answer your temp question, but maybe over at troutnut...

I think this bit of speculation applies to nearly all mayfly emergences:

They will be ready to emerge one year after deposit;

Warm temperatures in the weeks leading up to one year may excite some portion of the nymphs to emerge imperfectly (slowly);

The perfect emergence of an individual specimen is to remain concealed under rock until the surge of energy and ability to molt into a dun is at it's max-- in which case it will begin to shed it's exoskeleton on the way up or as soon as it reaches the meniscus. It can be a short period of time, but most all mayflies need a few moments above the meniscus to alight.

I have not observed any general haste in emerging flies to alight, but it could be explained by the fact that these nymphs preparing to molt are "more than ready" in light of the cool Spring we have had.

In my experience cool and damp has provided the best true dry fly action. That said I almost always start with a nymph or bh soft hackle trailing off the dry for Sulphers. On most Sulpher hatches the wet fly will catch way more. If this offends you can keep fishing the dry; but I like catching fish especially if a long ride is required.

Wetflies and soft hackles takes a good amount of space in my box.

Perhaps several forays this week will yield the results I have been looking for- which is a heavy heavy hatch or spinnerfall.

I stumbled into a nice hatch the other night on the Brodhead; couldn't really tell exactly which but Sulphers in different sizes and shapes were all working well; as long as the drift was good. The temps were cool and it was raining lightly; perfect conditions so I didn't feel the need to fish a sunken dropper.

Back