Suggestions for winter nymphs

Is that your tie? Nice looking fly.
No, I think I pulled that pic up at work. Sometimes I don't even bother with the legs. Just hare's mask, white dubbing (occasionally light green) and ostrich herl. But that's pretty much the same way I would tie..

Dropper-Killer bug variant.. Oversize purple tungsten bead, wild violet Shetland Spindrift yarn, and purple Glo Brite floss.
Anchor(point)- zebra midge perdigon.. Some days I do better substituting black krystal flash for tailing.Closer to spring , I do better on olive perdigon ribbed with Krystal Flash.

Last edited:
My go-to nymphs in winter are a Bead Head Prince and a Flash Back Bead Head Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear.

Last edited:
My go-to nymphs in winter are a Bead Head Prince and a Flash Back Nead Head Gold Ribbed Hare.
There are a few watersheds in the great commonwealth where those 2 would be among my first choices. Prince and Hares Ear have withstood the test of time and still hold up.

Any nymph patterns you like, but try them about a size or two smaller than normal. The naturals tend to be smaller this time of year and the water is often very clear.
Since I don't like large beads on small flies, use extra split shot.

Brassies and copper John’s

Brassies in plain copper,or red wire , with a white thread head , or, a peacock herl head

Last edited:
Outside of eggs, worms or mop flies, I don't know that it matters. So many Euro nymphs look to be little besides a bead on a hook with something wrapped on the body giving it the slightest taper and some width a bit greater than the hook shank itself.

Dropshotting a dark pheasant tail and a hares ear is never a bad choice. In faster water I like a micro-bugger in olive or black on the point. I've also been having some good reactions to a Teeny nymph lately which I haven't fished for years, but have recently added to my box again.

Dropshotting a dark pheasant tail and a hares ear is never a bad choice. In faster water I like a micro-bugger in olive or black on the point. I've also been having some good reactions to a Teeny nymph lately which I haven't fished for years, but have recently added to my box again.
Yup!....I've gotten a lot of good advice and pointers from Josh's videos.....might also want to check out Domenick Swentosky's Troutbitten website (https://troutbitten.com) where he shows an assortment of his confidence flies....just type confidence flies in the search box and the article will come up. I've tied and used most of them with pretty good results.

Back