Suggestions for winter nymphs

Fly-Swatter

Fly-Swatter

With the Polar Plunge we are about to take, at least in NEPA, it is likely to be too cold for me to fish for the next week. So, this weekend should be for tying flies (and football, and holiday stuff). There are hundreds of nymph patterns one can find online. What do you all favor for nymphing during the 2 months or so?

If we hit a good day or two in the 40s, I'm likely to venture out for a few hours of nymphing on the Lackawanna, Upper D, etc.

I have a good selection of standard, curved, and jig hooks, beads, etc.

Any help with focusing my fly-tying ADD will be appreciated.

It's almost little black stone fly time. Perhaps some black stones in 16-18?

I tied a couple of these recently and a few Humph's Cress bugs are also good.

Zebra midge, darker shaded hares ear.
What sizes of each do you like?

Are your Zebra Midges standard back with silver?

Do you add anything to the standard HE pattern (bead, flashback, hot spot, etc.)?

I’ll use beads on my Zebra midges. Mostly size 16-18 however I tie them on Firehole scud hooks which seem to run larger in size. Gold, silver or wine colored wire, black thread. Coat the body with Sally Hansons or UV cement.

Hares ear I don’t use beads, flashback or hot spots. Size 14, 16, maybe an 18. I use a dropper tag so I also don’t usually weight my nymphs. I’ll mix some darker brown dubbing with the HE thus the darker color which for me, seems to work better during the winter months. I’m only speaking for myself on the darker color.

Same thing with Pheasant tail nymphs, I’ll use tail feathers dyed darker brown.

Good luck.

Mike,

PT in #12- #20 cover most hatches. Tie with or without bead.

Golden Stone in #8 - #12

Hare's ear, bird's-nest and prince are always good to carry.

My Winter nymph setup is big heavy stuff. BH egg, and heavy stoneflies and Perdigons. Size 12ish type stuff, and as heavy as you can make them.

Yea I like the stoneflies too. I like the Pats rubber legs.

Easy. crane fly larvae for the Lackawanna.

Personally I like using a rubber band body. Helps bounce off the rocks.

Nuke eggs,. blood dots sucker spawn. Orange and yellow. 12-16.
Zebra midges red black white 18-22
Pheasant tails and hares ears 12-18
Walt's worms 12-14

These are my go-to winter flies. I fish more in the winter than any other time so I do have some experience.

^Solid options there.

I like my midges to be like the Orvis variant (listed on their website as a Dawkin's DD Midge). It has a double bead which gives you an excellent sink rate. I prefer my midges in red or black.

I also like to run thin thread nymphs in pink in a size 18 with a 2mm and a size 14 with a 3 mm bead. Tungsten beads of course. The issue with winter fishing and getting depth is that the fish are holding low and the water is cold and therefore dense. Upsizing beads on flies is critical to achieving proper depth.

For eggs it all depends on flow rates. slower creeks I don't mind using brass beads on glow bugs, clown eggs, and Y2Ks. Anything quicker like Penns and I am opting for my 4.5mm eggs that when wet you can risk breaking your rod trying to lob. I like my eggs in salmon and light pink and my clown eggs to by light pink and yellow. The only issue with drifting eggs other than the 4.5mm variants, is that their sink rates are slow and can thus effect getting your flies down properly. Bounce every fly along the bottom in winter I say!

When I was in college, my winter nymph was usually Miss December or Janaury. Now that I'm quite a bit older, I prefer the trout of the month in a fly fishing magazine?

Little Black stones and green caddis larvae for freestones. Lots of patterns, but I go simpler and less flashy in winter. I start with #12 and step down to #16 and #18 if I'm not getting hits. My basic LBS nymph is a few black hen fibers for a tail, black tapestry wool for body and thorax, grey antron for wingcase, and black hen hackle. Tie in tail and yarn. Wind yarn up about half way in thin abdomen. Tie in wingcase facing back. Wind slightly thicker thorax. Tie down and cut off yarn, wind a couple of turns of black hackle, pull wingcase forward, tie off and finish fly. This was my go to winter nymph for years.

Eggs and worms are staples too. I used to be more a chamois worm guy, but now more often use a micro Chenille worm in pink tied at the head, not the middle. Sucker spawn is a good one. Small McFly foam glo bugs are great in 14 and 16. See Tim Flager video.

Used to use gray and cream honey bugs too; Walt's worm and simple muskrat fur nymphs will do.

Midges; I mostly fish limestoners in winter now where midges are the bread and butter. Lot's of options but simple pupa in dark colors, top secret midges, and miracle midges probably see more duty than most. Zebra midges are great, but use them less where I go. My basic zebra midge for freestones is silver bead, black thread body, small silver wire rib in 16 to 20. Used to use one in 22 with a CDC or antron wing in highly fished spots. Now I just bring my limestone midge box (with mostly 22 and 24) everywhere and fish smaller midges.

Streamers are great in winter. I like subtle colored jig streamers with pine squirrel strips or craft fur wings. Olive, black, white are my basic colors. Fish slow and strike at lightest weight on the line - most times they don't hit hard in winter. Of course buggers in same colors work.

This is what I do. I don't have any arguments with the choices above. Jiggly Pat's stonefly and others were hot in the fall - can't imagine they wouldn't work in winter. Don't need many flies - best ones are the ones you have faith in.

zebra midges. and im always carrying black hares ears and black PTs. i also tie and carry some super buggy patterns that always produce fish in the winter. i fish all of the above low and slow, this time of year is when i primarly fish with strike indicators. i use the biggest high floating air filled strike indicator i have.

Zebra midges, frenchies, stones, PTs, haresears, and streamers. Fly selection is important, but also WHERE you fish too, deeper pools and slower water is typically where the fish will hold in the winter. Usually my pace of fishing slows down as well.

Pheasant tails in any size, walts worms, and then egg patterns. Those are my go to flies for nymphing in the winter.

Peeking caddis was my go to winter nymph for a long time.
Peeking250

Thanks, guys. great stuff! Keep 'em coming!

I have a few bases covered already and materials to work on most the rest.

Back