Suggestions for Where to go and What to Use on the Little Lehigh

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

Can anyone help me. I am thinking about fishing the Little Lehigh. Not sure when but any advice including fly shops that track it would be appreciated.

Gene - There is a small fly shop right along the stream called the Heritage Fly Shop.

FWIW - I have no connection to the shop other than the owner (Dave) is an old friend and fishing buddy of mine. He's gonna be the best source of information, since he's there almost every day. The shop doesn't have a phone other than Dave's cell phone, but he has the number posted on his Facebook page.

I'm not comfortable giving out the number here. He has the basics covered, such as flies, tippet, accessories, etc.

The other shop that serves the LL is actually a good hour drive away. The owners are from Allentown, however, and they know the stream well. It's a pretty large shop, with a huge inventory - including the local flies that work well on the LL.

http://www.eveninghatch.com/

As far as where to fish it - just about anywhere. I'd suggest staying away from the "Kiddie Pool", which is opposite the Queen City trout nursery. It's often crowded, and not the best place to fish - it brings out the worst in people, so it seems.

Try fishing upstream or downstream of that pool. There's a healthy population of wild fish throughout the stream. If you're willing to walk the path that follows the stream, you'll find less pressured fish, and more solitude. There's two special regs sections on the stream, and the lower end of the downstream regs area is a good place to start. You can walk for miles downstream from there and find good water.

If you can find places where the path veers away from the stream, you'll be in good shape. There's really no place that doesn't fish well, but I'd walk past the slower sections, and fish the riffles and faster runs below them.

Feel free to PM me if you're gonna be up here, and I'll try to join you. Saturdays are best for me, as I can fish all day (usually).

Good luck, and enjoy the stream - it's a great place to fish.

H.A.

Gene:that's a great and generous offer from HA:he knows the stream very well and is a very knowledgeable ff,in general.

I have fished with him frequently and can guarantee good company and most likely good catching:)
Tom

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Gene - There is a small fly shop right along the stream called the Heritage Fly Shop.

FWIW - I have no connection to the shop other than the owner (Dave) is an old friend and fishing buddy of mine. He's gonna be the best source of information, since he's there almost every day. The shop doesn't have a phone other than Dave's cell phone, but he has the number posted on his Facebook page.

I'm not comfortable giving out the number here. He has the basics covered, such as flies, tippet, accessories, etc.

The other shop that serves the LL is actually a good hour drive away. The owners are from Allentown, however, and they know the stream well. It's a pretty large shop, with a huge inventory - including the local flies that work well on the LL.

http://www.eveninghatch.com/

As far as where to fish it - just about anywhere. I'd suggest staying away from the "Kiddie Pool", which is opposite the Queen City trout nursery. It's often crowded, and not the best place to fish - it brings out the worst in people, so it seems.

Try fishing upstream or downstream of that pool. There's a healthy population of wild fish throughout the stream. If you're willing to walk the path that follows the stream, you'll find less pressured fish, and more solitude. There's two special regs sections on the stream, and the lower end of the downstream regs area is a good place to start. You can walk for miles downstream from there and find good water.

If you can find places where the path veers away from the stream, you'll be in good shape. There's really no place that doesn't fish well, but I'd walk past the slower sections, and fish the riffles and faster runs below them.

Feel free to PM me if you're gonna be up here, and I'll try to join you. Saturdays are best for me, as I can fish all day (usually).

Good luck, and enjoy the stream - it's a great place to fish.

H.A.

Gene, this is as good as it could ever get. Just sayin'..............

Thanks for the information and the very nice offer. My inquiry was more for future opportunities, when I am in the area. I was fishing in NY (The DE) and Vt last week and was thinking of stopping at the LL on the way back to Woodstock MD.

Thanks again

7x-8x tippet and al's rats. that's all you'll need.

Back