Suggestions for blanks and components

jayL

jayL

All,

My girlfriend's dad is a fisherman, so we get along pretty well. At dinner the other night, we discussed building rods. Turns out his uncle does it as a side gig, and has an entire workshop devoted to the craft.

I got tipped off that I should start looking for a blank and components. For my birthday, her dad and I are going to spend a weekend at the workshop building rods.

I know that it's all about personal preference, and I will attempt to cast anything before I build.

My current lineup:

7.5' 3wt versitex
8' 4wt TFO professional
9' 5wt loomis gl3 (I built this one)
11' 6wt switch
9' 9wt St Croix (forget which model, but it's not high end)

What would you add? Since they are paying for the blank and components, I'd feel bad breaking the bank. I should be able to pick some quality stuff though.

What happen to your orvis ?

Fredrick wrote:
What happen to your orvis ?

I sold it to Fritz. The loomis won my heart this summer and I didn't think I needed two 5 wts with my financial situation.

Amtack's Matrix blanks are nice and very reasonably priced. I did a 7' 4wt for a buddy of mine with the matching reel seat and TiCr guides for about 90 bucks and have been jealous of him ever since. It is a little fast for me, but I could eat a sandwich waiting for most of my rods to load, and I'm ok with that.

Boyer

Pretty good line-up of rods to fish many situations and types of fish Jay.

How bout a 10' rod for Euro nymphing?

Or how bout a 6' +/- length rod for really tight streams?

Or how bout a Spey rod.

Or how bout a heavy salt rod

Or........lol

Have thinking about and building a new rod. It's really fun, especially this time of year.

Your search stops her Jay Z-Axis

OMG Afish - That was my thoughts exactly.

Jay - are you happy with all your rods? If not, replace the one you like least.

Do you REALLY like this girl? Do you think you might be able to get her to fish with you someday? You could earn mega brownie points with her and her family if you built HER a rod, and it'd give you extra leverage to get her to go.

Just make sure it's one you could fish if she doesn't like fishing. ;-)

Good suggestions so far. Keep em coming.

The obvious gap between 6 and 9 wts is troubling, but the switch rod fishes bigger than it is. The problem with that is that I don't have a true 6wt. This rod buying business is tough.

Ed,

I do really like her. I don't think she'd want a rod though. She's interested enough in fishing to pacify me when I talk about it, but she prefers I spend my fishing time with her dad when I'm there. It works well.

Afish,

Do you prefer slower rods for euro nymphing? A 10' 4wt has been on my list for a while...

Boyer,

I don't have any truly fast rods. I have been thinking about a lightning fast 8.5' 6wt for small WW and streamer chucking. That might be worth investigating... fred's suggestion would be good too, but I'd feel bad spending that much of their money. :lol:

Jay-

Why don't you try a fiberglass rod ? I finally have a decent work shop and I have been playing with the idea of building a rod myself.

http://www.steffenbrothersflyrods.com/fiberglassrods.htm

Switch rod http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11120&forum=14

Jay, the question is whether you want a new situation rod, or if you want to put one of your current rods on the bench. I'll stick to the new situation scenario.

There is a troubling gap between 6 and 9 wt, but does it need filled? Assuming your 6 covers Erie steel situations and the 9wt covers Salmon and the salt? You do anything where your telling yourself you wish you had a 7 or an 8? Would you rather have a longer 9wt?

Obviously I'm biased, but what do you use for brookies? The only rod you have under 8' is a 3 wt, which always seemed a little light to me (IMO, of course). The TFO would do fine but 8' is a bit long when it gets thick.

How bout a heavier short rod? Thinkin 7' or 7.5'. Maybe a 4 or a 5 wt and fairly fast action. Can decide whether to overline it after the fact.

Jay

I can't help you decide what rod you want. I can help you chose the best components that will fit your budget. Don't hesitate to contact me for solid advice once you decide on the rod to be built.

matt

Pat,

I would say a new situation rod seems to win the cost-benefit contest in my price range. If I could upgrade one my my existing rods substantially, I would consider shelving one of my current ones.

As of right now, I am leaning toward a short 4wt for small streams or a short 6wt for streamers... but every suggestion is tempting.

CPR,

I missed your post. Thank you. I will certainly run my ideas by you before I buy.

Your arsenal already tops mine, but if I had what you had and knowing the way I fish, I'd be looking for a longer 3-weight rod or a shorter 5-weight. I love my 9' #3 and would like a nice 7' or 7'6" #5.

Jack that is because your a cold water dry fly snob :lol:

I'm with bruno, you might want to try a high end glass rod. these things are VERY smooth, yet have plenty of punch. he mentioned steffen brothers, we also have mike mcfarland right here in pa, very good quality glass rods and blanks. just google mcfarland rods. these glass rods are not your dad's old shakespeare!!
mike is in the process of purchasing/moving the equipment from the old diamondglass factory in vermont.
also in pa, riffle blanks from kettle creek outfitters, never cast one, but heard good reviews. softer action than steffen or macfarland.
just thought you might like something different.
as for components, check out anglers workshop, big selection. also check out goldenwitch, geared more towards bamboo, but many components can be used to pimp out a glass or graphite rod. maybe a nice agate stripping guide? blued hardware? engraved nickle silver? uplocking, downlocking?? tons of choices!!

jayL wrote:
Good suggestions so far. Keep em coming.

The obvious gap between 6 and 9 wts is troubling, but the switch rod fishes bigger than it is. The problem with that is that I don't have a true 6wt. This rod buying business is tough.

That was my first thought when I read your arsinal. I'd go for a 9' or 9'6" 6 wt. Something you can use on larger streams around here, or if you're slinging streamers. Plus you need something with a bit more beef if you want to float some of those western streams you want to revisit. I only have 3 rods so far and want to add to mine (didn't get my "christmas present") and a nice stiff 6 wt is about 2nd on the list for me. I'm no expert on good blanks or rod building, but that's the rod choice size if you ask me.

Ryan

The GL3 5 wt is actually a pretty good streamer slinger. I have one, those things are like rockets.

But when it comes to fighting big fish, like steel or out west, it's still a 5 wt.

Get a cheap Cabelas 4 pc Stoweaway blank in 7.5' for a 4WT. Throw away the butt section and saw off the lower end of the next section and build yourself a 3 piece brookie pack rod that is 5' long. Works well for me. I just use my regular small reel with a 4WT line (obviously, I'm not a rod snob - and like short fly rods).

I never got caught up in weight ratings. My arsenal includes four 5 wt rods and a 7wt. But the 5 wts all fish so differently and fill all of my typical fishing situations, plus they allow easy switching of reels.

Back